Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

anyone moved from london to devon?

(10 Posts)
nomorechoc Mon 01-Jun-09 21:12:11

hi - just wondered if anyone has moved from london to devon - and if so, - can you still get value for money there, what are the schools like, (ie can you recommend any), and have you found it hard adjusting?
TIA

Loopymumsy Tue 02-Jun-09 20:30:04

Message withdrawn

LightShinesInTheDarkness Tue 02-Jun-09 20:30:45

No.

But I wish I had.

twoluvlykids Tue 02-Jun-09 20:33:32

yes

8 yrs ago

not much school choice - only one secondary in my town

very hard to adjust - the grass is not greener, however, it's mostly good and i love being closer to the sea/country

kids are bored silly, but they're teenagers and would be bored anywhere.

scaryteacher Wed 03-Jun-09 08:53:14

Depends where you are in Devon, and if you want to go down the private or state route for schools. There are some excellent prep schools in Devon that do day and boarding and compared to London and Hants, you get more house for your money. Go further, move to Cornwall, Tamar Valley recommended, cheaper house prices, and access to grammar schools as well as good preps and primaries.

GeneHunt Wed 03-Jun-09 09:04:12

School choice extremely poor in North Devon. Our local comp celebrated getting just over 30% of their pupils to achieve 5 gcse's last year.

East Devon house prices are still artificially high compared to North Devon so more value for money here but it's a drag getting anywhere. Agree with Scary Teacher about Cornwall prices.

What's your line of work?

scaryteacher Wed 03-Jun-09 10:08:39

Plymouth and surroundings good for both private and state schools, and Plymouth has 2 girls grammars and 1 for boys. It also has bad to excellent comps and a private school. Tavistock has a middling comp and Kelley College and Mount House for private schools. Mount House is a a fab prep and gets good scholarships into places like Eton, Canford, Winchester etc each year. DS went to Mount House until we moved abroad. It was worth every penny.

We have a house in Cornwall 9just over the Devon/Cornwall border) and this meant that ds could go to prep in Tavistock, whilst i taught in Cornwall. We were equidistant from Plymouth (so grammar possible from there), Liskeard, Launceston,(Comp good, taught there, plus private day girls school) Tavistock, and 45 minutes from Exeter if you wanted to use a private school there.

Mintyy Wed 03-Jun-09 18:00:33

I moved from London to Devon - and absolutely hated it. Luckily we were able to come back to London after only two years and have been here ever since.

Call me a reckless fool, but I am going to send my dc to state secondary school in London! I know, I must be mad!!! [sarcastic emoticon].

scaryteacher Thu 04-Jun-09 08:03:38

Yes bur equally Mintyy, I'd hate to live in London. It depends what suits you. I live just outside Brussels at present, but miss Cornwall like mad.

Monty100 Fri 05-Jun-09 15:59:22

OP - no sorry - wishful thinking.

Scaryteacher - I luuuuuurve Brussels. I'm very very envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now