Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning houses before you've moved in? Any ideas?

(16 Posts)
mrshippy Mon 01-Jun-09 19:00:23

I'm not usually too fussed about mess etc, but this is my 1st time moving with kids and I really want to go and clean the house and get the carpets cleaned before I move in. It's emoty at the moment - owned by a building company as was a part exchange. Has anyone managed to do that before, how can I go about it?

sarah293 Mon 01-Jun-09 19:02:08

Message withdrawn

quinne Mon 01-Jun-09 19:03:05

make an agreement with your landlord/ seller. If you haven't committed contractually yet then it would be an easy thing to bargain for. In fact you could even try to get them to do it.

mrshippy Mon 01-Jun-09 19:04:09

1st time buyer are moving in to our and we are moving to a new town. They are renting though.

quinne Mon 01-Jun-09 19:06:42

Have you signed contracts? If so, everyone will suddenly be much less willing to help. If you haven't yet, then they will be more amenable to requests - especially small ones such as this. Get it put in the contract though

mrshippy Mon 01-Jun-09 19:09:05

ohhh, OK. Haven't digned anything yet. Just agreed to a price. I'm a total novice to this kind of thing. So, can you get things like permission to clean written into the contract for no extra cost then?

KathyBrown Mon 01-Jun-09 19:53:13

You want them to clean it not you grin
Have it specifically mentioned as a term of the purchase that it is cleaned to a high standard and then if it isn't you can get it professionally cleaned and send them the bill.

wombleprincess Mon 01-Jun-09 20:11:08

renting or buying?

mrshippy Mon 01-Jun-09 21:53:05

buying...

That sounds great KathyBrown, do I talk to them or ask via the estate agent?

KathyBrown Mon 01-Jun-09 22:28:17

I'd talk to the estate agent, make them earn their money, it's not an unreasonable request at all, I've always had any house I sold professionally cleaned before handing over the keys.

Bonneville Mon 01-Jun-09 22:38:31

What is the difference between getting a house 'professionally' cleaned and doing it yourself. Surely one can clean ones own house just as well as an outsider?

KathyBrown Mon 01-Jun-09 23:34:13

Well yes but why the hell would you when somebody else can do it for you

mrshippy Mon 01-Jun-09 23:34:50

Professionally would mean that I wouldn't have to do it, which is good enough for me!

Bonneville Mon 01-Jun-09 23:58:29

To be honest I would be embarrassed if my house was so dirty that I would have to have it professionally cleaned just before handing the keys over

Bonneville Tue 02-Jun-09 00:22:54

Sorry - that didnt really come across too well. Im sure that nobody has such dirty houses that really need to be professionally cleaned. I suppose you are all right - if it saves a few hours on moving day then all well and good.

terramum Tue 02-Jun-09 00:41:58

We've moved a LOT in the last few years and I always have an overlap (even if it's just a day or two) on our houses so I can go in and clean the new place from top to bottom before we actually move in. Some have really needed it, but others like our current home were cleaned very well by the landlord so it was less work...but still important imo. Other people's muck is so much more ugh than your own imo...can never go to to loo or wash dishes in a new place until it's been VERY thoroughly scrubbed wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now