Talk

Advanced search

Does anybody live in a small cottage - how do you manage?

(14 Posts)
flatcapandpearls Sat 30-May-09 10:45:09

I am thinking of going to view a rather tiny but very cute house but am wondering if we could do it. It is only renting so if it is awful I can leave and I thought this may be a good way of testing if we could do living somewhere more rural and in a tiny cottage. But I have so much stuff! But then again maybe this would make me get rid of it.

How have people found living somewhere tiny?

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Sat 30-May-09 10:52:49

Message withdrawn

LaurieFairyCake Sat 30-May-09 11:03:31

We live in a tiny cottage and we have far too much stuff. 2 sheds plus two outhouses. And I have 18 of those vacuum bag of clothes in the loft.

The things that really work for us is to freecycle/chuck stuff you don't use. I am a terrible hoarder and until last month I had 8 bags of baby clothes and 3 bags of old clothes that were being used for gardening. It was great to get rid of them.

Books are more of a problem as we have thousands on book shelves which don't look too bad so I think living someone small means that you have to cope with it looking more 'stuffed', not necessarily messy but just more.

I also find I have to keep on top of paperwork constantly - best example is that we have replaced both cars this week and there is two huge stuffed folders of crap to get rid of (old mot's, service docs on the old cars) - with our house being small there is paper on every surface this week that needs to be tidied, all the documents and all the id needed to sort it out.

The upside is that it is easier to keep a small place tidy as a 10 minute tidy up can make a huge difference.

Is the cute cottage somewhere nice? Ours is right in a town centre and next to a park so we actually are really lucky with amenities - if we moved to one of the estates for a bigger house we would lose all that. We spend quite a lot of time outside because of that.

If you're into crap films there's a film called 'the Holiday' with Kate Winslet and she lives in a tiny cottage with great storage - bookshelves above doors, individal chairs rather than sofas, less ornaments and candly crap.

flatcapandpearls Sat 30-May-09 11:54:59

Yes cute cottage somewhere really lovely, I do have lots of books though hmm I am waiting to here about viewing somewhere bigger but the letting agent seems quite useless when it comes to booking viewings.

I have no issue with looking more stuffed.

flatcapandpearls Sat 30-May-09 11:56:44

The bigger place is closer to dd primary which is a big consideration.

Meglet Sat 30-May-09 17:21:51

i have a tiny house with no built in storage and there is no where to put anything. even the dyson has to live on the landing (it's that or my bedroom or the open plan living room), it drives me up the wall on an hourly basis.

but it is in a good location so i can just about live with it for a couple of years.

flatcapandpearls Sat 30-May-09 21:34:35

I viewed it and it was cute but needed things doing whereas the larger one was pefect.

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Sat 30-May-09 21:41:59

Message withdrawn

MavisGrind Sat 30-May-09 21:42:12

I live in a tiny cottage with absolutely no storage. It's in a lovely location but on days when the weather is rubbish (i.e. most of the year) it can drive me crazy as there is no where to go in the house. If I need a break from the dc's I have to just sit in my bedroom (on the bed, no room for a chair).

Mind you on days like today when it's fabulously sunny I wouldn't swap it!

flatcapandpearls Sat 30-May-09 22:29:55

Thanks reality. I must really want it as I am so nervous.

FindTheLocation Sat 30-May-09 22:36:18

We have been hiring a storage crate at a warehouse since Aug 2006! Storage is a big problem here & I also hate the lack of space b/c whenever DS is playing there is nowhere to move & the house looks very cluttered. We have recently sold & are craving bigger rooms!

flatcapandpearls Sat 30-May-09 23:15:05

The one we are hoping to get is not huge to be honest, but not tiny and has things like a utility room and a breakfast room and the third bedroom is big enough to use as a study so we will have a formal dining room. I am going to have a huge declutter before we go, I did it last year but am going to be very ruthless this time. It also has a very cute little artist studio.

FindTheLocation Sun 31-May-09 19:34:01

That certainly does not sound tiny to me!! My cottage (that we have just sold) has the kitchen & living room downstairs & upstairs are the 2 bedrooms (1 double & 1 single) & a small bathroom. Go for it!!!...from the sounds of it you are taken by the house & that is a great sign

flatcapandpearls Sun 31-May-09 20:27:09

No it isn't tiny but the other one was, 2 bedrooms upstairs one of which you had to walk through to get to the other. Bathroom downstairs and a tiny kitchen and living area.

The one I hope we will get is more spacious but the rooms are not huge but enough space. Today we have managed to make up another 4 boxes of books for the charity shop. Bootfull to recylcling and the tip and tonight I am going to do the dressing room. Took 3 bags to the charity shop from there at the weekend but I think I can be more ruthless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now