Talk

Advanced search

Discount furnishing fabric

(14 Posts)
lalalonglegs Sat 16-May-09 20:00:31

Does anyone know of anywhere (internet or within very easy reach of London) that sells good furnishing fabric cheaply? My MIL is very good at sewing and has offered to recover our sofa as the material is really coming to the end of its life but we don't want anything expensive as we have a 13mo so still have some messy months to get through. Advice from the bargaineers among you please.

mamas12 Sat 16-May-09 20:43:25

Do you have Play Recourse Centre near you.
They are fab, they collect manufacturing 'waste' which sometimes includes rolls of fabric.

lalalonglegs Sat 16-May-09 21:54:50

I have just googled and, sadly, they only seem to exist in Belfast... Anyone else?

mamas12 Sat 16-May-09 23:24:04

They are in Cardiff and Swansea

sinclair Sun 17-May-09 19:18:53

LLL there is a discount fabric warehouse place in Finchley and tho I have never been, friends say there is massive choice, very cheap. There is I think something similar in Sutton (think you are S of the river for some reason?). Or try Tetford Fabrics online, run by a very helpful lady who will send samples, not a huge choice but if you want say a plain neutrally fabric a good start.

Lucky you having MIL offer to do it!

MrsBartlet Sun 17-May-09 20:34:20

I would recommend Tetford Fabrics as well. I bought fabric from them and reupholstered my dining-room chairs for £15. I can't sew to save myself but I can wield a staple gun grin

maggiethecat Mon 18-May-09 00:48:11

Hijacking. MrsB - am thinking of recovering ours as the off white covers are looking tired. Never used a staple gun - is it easy to wield?

MrsBartlet Mon 18-May-09 07:12:46

If I can do it - you can do it grin Our chairs are pine with a cushioned seat pad so it was only this that had to be re-covered. Very easy and very effective!

lalalonglegs Mon 18-May-09 08:41:06

sinclair - do you know name or whereabouts of the discount place in Finchley - will cross the river for a bargain.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

sinclair Mon 18-May-09 22:38:44

It is this www.curtainfactoryoutlet.co.uk/Press.htm

Good luck!!

lalalonglegs Tue 19-May-09 20:00:26

Thanks.

SparkyUK Thu 04-Jun-09 17:24:34

have also heard good things about the curtain factory outlet. I think everything there is five pounds a meter!

I've gone to Liberty's and found fabric I liked and then checked on ebay. Romo do some lovely linens and you can often find listings for 15 meters +. I also went directly to the company for our sofa covering and got the wholesale price (17 pounds) for fabric that was 40/meter at Liberty. They were a small company though...

MrsMattie Thu 04-Jun-09 17:30:13

I got our bedroom curtains from the curtain factory. You have to dig around (so many samples - very confusing) but deffo worth it if it's just the fabric you're after. Not all the fabric is cheap - so beware. Prob best to get a member of staff over as soon as you get in there to explain how it works. They have huge off cuts of material in their warehouse that they sell off cheap, but also display samples of fabric you can order (much pricier). I think the average price of material there is 8 or 9 pounds a metre, so if you ahve a strict budget I'd get straight in there and tell the staff what colours you're looking at and see if they can bring you a selection of fabrics to suit your taste and budget. Saves a lot of time.

freya11 Tue 14-Jul-09 20:01:07

Try oliosh online, I recovered my sofa with fabric from them for only £30.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now