Advanced search

can we fit slow closers to our kitchen drawers?

(16 Posts)
mckenzie Fri 27-Feb-09 22:00:45

Our kitchen is about 5 years old. For some reason we didn't fit slow closers at the time (money probably). I understand that are now pretty much standard. Is it possible to retro fit them does anyone know please?


TheDevilWearsPrimark Fri 27-Feb-09 22:03:12

I don't think they are 'standard'

Is there any real reason you want them?

mckenzie Fri 27-Feb-09 22:11:41

to stop the slamming noise that the DCs, DH and I make sometimes!

jeanjeannie Sat 28-Feb-09 08:30:18

I'm pretty sure you can do it afterwards - but not sure if you need to re-do the runners too?

I'll ask DP when he get back - he's done it to his brother's kitchen (after it was installed) and he's fitted them on ours but he's handbuilt ours so we've always had them.

mckenzie Sat 28-Feb-09 09:00:07

thanks very much jeanjeannie

WouldYouCouldYouWithAGoat Sat 28-Feb-09 09:02:17

they also have the benefit of closing themselves. i am a notorious none closer of drawers so dh got them to 'cure' me.

ikea do them. where did you get your kitchen?

mckenzie Sat 28-Feb-09 09:12:36

our kitchen was fitted when we did the extension 5 years ago. It was fitted by a good friend of ours who has since had the cheek to emigrate to Australia! I've got all the paper work though somewhere so can look up the manufacturer if needs be.

jeanjeannie Sat 28-Feb-09 09:23:36

You might be able to get 'universal' ones - I think we got ours from Isaac Lord -but I'll check and get back to you...cos I might be completely wrong!!! Moving to OZ - that's so rude grin

pcworld Sat 28-Feb-09 22:17:39

Ikea do them but you might need to check compatability.

mckenzie Mon 02-Mar-09 14:27:35

thanks pcworld but the Ikea fittings don't fit our kitchen.

Fimbo Mon 02-Mar-09 14:31:48

I live in a new build (built Oct 2007) and they didn't come as standard. Dh got some things out of diy shop (could have been B & Q) that do the job, you just screw them on, no faffing about with the runners etc

mckenzie Mon 02-Mar-09 21:49:52

thanks Fimbo. I might take a trip to B&Q tomorrow then.

Fimbo Mon 02-Mar-09 22:21:37

I can't explain them very well. They are kind of like little rectangles with a soft point that goes in and out, they come in a pack of about 6. It stops the doors from slamming shut iyswim.

KingCanuteIAm Mon 02-Mar-09 22:27:58

Fimbo, we got these as well, to fit to a house bought for rental. We got them online and they were about £4 for a pack of 6. You need different ones to fit to drawers though as there is no clearence at the side of a drawer to put the body of the thing IYSWIM. After we had fitted them I did wonder if you could get the door ones to fit on the undeside of the drawer with a bit of jiggery-pokery but tha would depend on how good you are at that kind of thing!

Fimbo Mon 02-Mar-09 22:30:56

Yes my dh has done that!


KingCanuteIAm Mon 02-Mar-09 22:40:56

They're the ones!

Clever DH btw I always have smart ideas after the event! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: