Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Real wood or laminate in a property to be rented out

(27 Posts)
Pristina Fri 27-Feb-09 19:16:09

If you were doing up your house to rent it out, would you choose real wood or laminate? I'm really thinking of which one is stronger and will cope better with wear and tear?
Are laminates still considered naff or are there some good ones now?
Our house is a modern 5 bed detached, if we were to sell instead would a potential buyer be put off by laminate?

Thanks.

HolyGuacamole Sat 28-Feb-09 00:27:43

If I was a buyer, I'd be put off by normal laminates. Nice real wood would swing it for me.

However, if I was renting the place out, I'd put down a half decent laminate. Other people don't treat your things the way that you would and I'd be scared that if it was real wood, it would get scraped by furniture, marked with high heels etc.

Karndean floors are nice in modern houses and hard wearing (would survive renting and selling) but not wooden, you get lots of nice designs/effects and the Karndean name is a selling point. Only drawback is that it is expensive.

Pristina Sat 28-Feb-09 09:11:57

Thanks for that- I'll look into Karndean. It looked very realistic from the picture. Is it like Amtico?

Ceolas Sat 28-Feb-09 09:16:28

My friend had her house nearly trashed when she rented it. I would do laminate if I were renting. Perhaps wood if I were sure I was going to sell.

lalalonglegs Sat 28-Feb-09 09:20:24

It depends on the property and what sort of tenants are likely to take it.

mrsmaidamess Sat 28-Feb-09 09:29:39

There are different 'grades' of real wood flooring, depending on the thickness of the layer of wood. Maybe go for the best looky likey you can without spending a small fortune.

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Sat 28-Feb-09 09:48:05

Message withdrawn

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Sat 28-Feb-09 09:49:13

Message withdrawn

Sorrento Sat 28-Feb-09 09:58:48

I would put down dirt cheap carpets that you are happy to replace every 12 months, depending on the price of the rental of course, but a cheap oatmeal carpet would be my choice.
Expect everything to need replacing and you won't be upset.

ABetaDad Sat 28-Feb-09 10:14:49

It depends on the rent you are charging for the property.

I have lived in private rented flats/houses for the last 25 years and it is amazing how some landlords get it so badly wrong sometimes and others seem to hit the spot.

If you are renting out a high end property in Chelsea at £10k a week - then laminate will put all your potential tenants off.

If you are renting to students student sharrers at £100 a week each then laminate will feel like luxury and they will be happy.

What I would say is that you should expect to get scratches and that people will not necessarily walk around in carpet slippers. Personally, I think for an average private family rental house aimed at a professional couple with two kids I would put tiles in corridors, kitchens and bathrooms and then a decent neutral oatmeal carpet elsewhere.

Pristina Sat 28-Feb-09 13:02:11

Thanks again.

A close friend as a very "top end" house that she lives in herself, and her real wood is already quite badly scratched in the kitchen by chairs etc. It's put me off tbh whether we sell or rent.

But we are very much in the middle of the road situation- a largish family house in a "desirable" area but certainly not Chelsea, so it makes matters more complicated.

Pristina Sat 28-Feb-09 13:04:15

betadad, I like oatmeal carpet for bedrooms but really want to stick with tiles/wood or a good imitation downstairs as I've lived with 20 year old carpet for the past 5 years now and I can't bear it any longer!

Reallytired Sat 28-Feb-09 13:13:09

I probably would pick the laminate, unless you are going for top of the range execuative tenants.

When eventually you sell the house you will have to redecorate anyway.

Make sure that any carpet you have is stain resistant.

Meglet Sat 28-Feb-09 13:28:33

My uncle was moaning about his new real wood floors the other day, he said the one he has doesn't seem very robust and is already getting scratched..

I have laminate and I think its possibly indestructible.

Sorrento Sat 28-Feb-09 13:38:35

I've lived with 20 year old carpet for the past 5 years now and I can't bear it any longer!

But if it's to be rented out you don't have to live with it.
I think you'll regret spending anymore than the bare minimim, the rents are coming down around here dramatically.

faraday Sat 28-Feb-09 17:52:13

I have sadly walked away from potential renters when I see carpet on the dining room and bathroom floors. I consider myself a good tenant but I just don't want the stress of having my 7 yr old dropping an open felt tip pen on cream carpets or of the 'small boy' thing that happen around WCs.

Go the laminate every time!

Pristina Sat 28-Feb-09 18:10:35

Sorry, should have made it clearer. We are sort of in limbo, not definitely selling, renting or staying put. I desperately need to redecorate (the entire house) but am also trying to look ahead and think of all eventualities. If there are some really good laminates, they might be worth looking at even if we do decide to stay put for a few more years. Our budget could run away otherwise and I don't want to spend more than the house is worth overall, especially in the current market.

KerryMumbles Sat 28-Feb-09 18:16:34

laminate.

malfoy Sat 28-Feb-09 18:28:06

anothere vote for laminate. The "posh" stuff does not look so naff.

newpup Sat 28-Feb-09 18:39:10

I have beautiful real oak floors in my house, in my old house I had expensive laminate. The real wood is completely gorgeaus but high maintenance and is very marked. I have to ask anyone in heels to take them off.

The laminate was not so beautiful but very very hardwearing!

Pristina Sat 28-Feb-09 20:58:01

Thanks again, this is all very helpful.

I'm thinking tiles (stone effect) for hall, study, downstairs loo, kitchen, conservatory and then maybe good quality laminate for the dining/sitting room.

newpup Sun 01-Mar-09 08:58:12

We have real stone floortiles in the kitchen and bathroom, they are lovely but can be a tad cold on the feet in the morning!!!! Would not change them though.

Pristina Sun 01-Mar-09 22:00:08

I'd go for real stone for an old house, but not so sure if necessary for a newish build.

Does anyone know the difference between Karndean and Amtico?

HolyGuacamole Mon 02-Mar-09 22:46:50

This might help?

oldnewmummy Tue 03-Mar-09 02:22:49

We just built a house in Australia. I went to select the floors and some of the laminate was really nice, nicer than the solid wood. I chose laminate (for the whole house other than bathrooms) purely on looks. When the salesman told me it was much less than the cost of wood and pretty much indestructible it was a bonus. It looks great, and I don't even mind cleaning the floors as it looks so lovely!

(Of course, it could just be that I have terrible taste grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now