Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should I go for a built in induction hob?

(12 Posts)
dollydee Sun 08-Feb-09 15:38:16

Hi everyone. After a fire in my kitchen last June, it is finally being 'done' next week and after two weeks, I should have a brand new fitted kitchen installed, complete with new ceiling, floor, doors, windows, electrics, tiling etc.

Can't wait, it has been such a struggle with no kitchen facilities.

Anyway, I do not want a gas hob - don't want to see a naked flame in the kitchen ever again!!- and am seriously considering an induction hob. I had a free standing induction hob to supplement my gas hob which was terminally damaged in my fire RIP but it was excellent. Quick and easy to cook and clean.

Anyone got a built in induction hob and what do you think of it? It will be either that or a ceramic but really, really fancy an induction

PortAndLemon Sun 08-Feb-09 15:41:03

I have used a built-in induction hob on a cookery course and it was loooovely. I want one when we (hypothetically) move and I get my dream kitchen.

dollydee Sun 08-Feb-09 15:48:12

I am seriously tempted and I found the settings to as responsive to gas more or less. Read somewhere though that they were more expensive to run but surely not that expensive.

Anyway, when I get my new kitchen in, who says I will want to spoil it by cooking?wink

I am also having a dishwasher - always promised myself I would get one, one day and that day is looming

PortAndLemon Sun 08-Feb-09 15:53:13

Well, if you're not going to cook then you can just put in a plain piece of smoked glass to look good. Will save a fortune... grin

dollydee Sun 08-Feb-09 16:06:13

true grin

Mummyfor3 Sun 08-Feb-09 16:41:20

Dolly, if you can, go on and have the induction hob - it is fab!

I have had one for approx. 15 months and love it: it is faster as fast as gas, so easy to get temperature just right, v easy to clean, love the energy efficiency (if you take pot of hob eg to drain water off pasta the hot plate does not use any energy).
One caveat: as no doubt you will have found out, non-ferrous pots do not work, so take a fridge magnet and check out your pots: if the magnet sticks your post will work on an induction hob. That is, check your pots if you want to keep them; if not this is a great time to buy new ones...grin. I was a bit upset that Le Creuset does not work on induction hob, but we also have one gas flame so I use that.

BTW, your house fire experience sounds horrible, glad you are now at the other end of it all. smile

deste Sun 08-Feb-09 18:10:31

I have one and think it is fantastic. Easy to keep clean.

dollydee Tue 10-Feb-09 21:17:05

Thanks, you have helped me to make my mind up - I am going for the induction hob

northender Tue 10-Feb-09 21:42:09

Mummyfor3 my le creuset work fine on my adored induction hob. Tis a large casserole.

Induction is fab go for it!

BusyBeeWithThree Tue 10-Feb-09 22:02:33

I love my induction hob. So brilliant and not hot to the touch even after use.

Othersideofthechannel Tue 10-Feb-09 22:13:02

I have a built in duo. Two induction rings and two gas.
Induction is fab and I always use those rings first but I am reassured by having gas as well (we can still eat hot food in the event of a power cut)

frumpygrumpy Wed 11-Feb-09 21:59:23

<<hijacks with a hug lassoo>>

Northender!!! Was it you I chatted with last Summer about Bruce???? Have you heard? Tickets on sale Friday morning (pre-sale Thursday morning). Will try to find you but I don't know if I do CAT..........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now