Talk

Advanced search

New cooker, work top and tiles - Which gets put in first?

(7 Posts)
BooBooChicken Thu 05-Feb-09 20:28:25

just that really...do i get my new cooker first and work from there?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Thu 05-Feb-09 21:33:20

Tiles go on last i think so that they line up with the work top.

Is it a hob or a proper freestanding cooker thing?

ProfessorCalculus Thu 05-Feb-09 21:56:54

We've just had a new kitchen. We have a free-standing range cooker and the worktop went in pretty much at the same time as that. if you've got an inset hob, the worktop will go in first then the hob will slot into it. Tiles come last.

BooBooChicken Fri 06-Feb-09 16:03:57

thanks for your help! erm, i don't really understand the hob/cooker/range lingo yet but
i think we will replace what we have..a hob and sort of separate cooker thing underneath, sort of built in to the worktop..?

it's ancient and knackered and was here when we moved in but it is electric and i want to change to a gas hob.

it's another question but do you think that it's hard to get gas instead..?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 06-Feb-09 16:26:13

So long as you've got a gas supply to that part of the kitchen, will be easy peasy. But since there's just electric there, I wonder if there is any gas or if you'll need a new pipe putting in.

To my mind, a hob is the top bit with rings which you put the saucepans on. You put the worktop in, then they cut a hole for the hob to fit into.

The oven is the oven bit grin You can get them separately so they fit into a cupboard. So the cupboard is put in, and then the cooker inserted into the space.

A cooker, IMO, has both and is freestanding. So you can just fit it in the gap.

A range is just a big poncey cooker with perhaps two ovens, or five rings.

That any more help??? smile

ProfessorCalculus Sat 07-Feb-09 00:23:37

My range is not poncey.
It has five rings on top (including a wok ring), two ovens and a separate grill at it looks fab.

BooBooChicken Mon 09-Feb-09 22:32:10

thanks both, i think i have a bit more info at my fingertips now! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now