Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stinky bathroom in rented house - whose problem is it, and is it an environmental health issue?

(4 Posts)

We've just moved in, the bathroom reeks of gross stinky drains (not a poo, wee or damp smell - it's like what you occasionally smell in grotty swimming pools)

I have cleaned everything with bleach, and we've used a very strong sink and drain unblocker in the shower, bath and sink, although none of them seemed blocked anyway. The smell hasn't improved. There are no windows in the bathroom as it's in the middle of the house, just a vent. I don't know where the problem is coming from, but they did say there'd been some work done on the drains before we moved in.

I've emailed my new landlady about it but had no response yet (though she has emailed me about other things) I am going to ask again about it but I just want to know if they have to do something or if we have to live with it, whose problem it is etc - are bad smells an environmental health issue? The smell is getting so bad it literally makes me gag when I have to go in there. Advice please?

Anyone?

LucyEllensmummy Thu 08-Jan-09 23:24:33

We have had this, it could be your stench pipe is blocked (a pipe outside that lets the bad smells go up it). Also, you need to check that the water is running away properly and not pooling somewhere and stagnating (this could happen if the fall on the waste pipes isn't adequate).

Ah, just read that there is just a vent? Is there an extractor fan? is there a toilet? Im pretty sure there has to be an extractor fan by law - i'll check wiht DP (builder) hes snoring just now though.

I guess it is probably a question of what is causing the smell as to whose responsibility it is. Has the house been empty for a long period of time maybe?

Thanks for responding. The landlords were living in the house right up to us taking it on, would only have been empty a couple of days max. It is an extractor fan, turns on when you put the light on. There is a toilet, the smell doesn't seem to be coming from there as far as I can tell. It's hard to say where it's coming from, it's just... there! and vile.

the smell was there when we moved in so I guess it's the landlord's fault/responsibility but what I really need to know is do they HAVE to do anything about a bad smell? does it constitute a health hazard? it can't be good for you, that's for sure, especially as it makes me heave. And anyway it means we can't ever have a proper bath because you don't want to spend any proper time in there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now