Talk

Advanced search

Sanding floors - how much does it cost??

(12 Posts)
peachygirl Sun 04-Jan-09 15:22:38

If we got a man in ... or did it ourselves??

Our living room is biggish (two rooms knocked through)

We are wondering if this could be a cheaper oprtion than new flooring.

littlerach Sun 04-Jan-09 15:28:36

Do it youreslef smile

Hire one for a weekend, from HSS or somwehere.

I did ours years ago and was fine, kind of like mowing th lawn, in a way.

navyeyelasH Sun 04-Jan-09 17:15:27

It just makes a hell of a mess!

madlentileater Sun 04-Jan-09 17:20:23

very messy and noisy, but MUCH cheaper than paying soemone else. You can complete a large floor in a weekend if you use quick drying varnish.

holidaywonk Sun 04-Jan-09 17:21:51

If you do it yourself you're looking at somwhere between £150 and £200, I'd guess (once you've paid for hire of equipment, floor varnish etc). It is a bugger of a job though.

No idea how much it costs to get a person to do it for you, but considerably more expensive I think.

AnybodyHoHoHomeMcFly Sun 04-Jan-09 17:22:50

Cost us £1,900 for a big through lounge, hall, landing, big front bedroom and two more double bedrooms. That includes filling the gaps and varnishing. So I would reckon for one room it would be under £500.

Very much worth having someone else do it imo!

stuffitllama Sun 04-Jan-09 17:23:52

Agree -- do it yourself. Make sure you block every crack and gap in the doors, keyholes etc or you will find the sawdust everywhere. We found some in our shoes under the bed.

stuffitllama Sun 04-Jan-09 17:25:50

Can't think straight to put it all in one post. The other thing is that unless you have very good quality floorboards you will need to do fiddly stuff like filling gaps and possibly even realigning so it might actually be easier to get a man in.

stuffitllama Sun 04-Jan-09 17:26:30

or lady

peachygirl Sun 04-Jan-09 18:18:58

Thanks, we have had a look at a couple of websites and reckon it would cost us about £600.

At the moment we are thinking we will DIY.

JillJ72 Mon 05-Jan-09 20:47:32

We hired a sander from HSS and it was returned shortly after. We're doing the floors with our trusty little palm sander now, takes longer but is lightweight and much friendlier to my husband's language skills.

WriggleJiggle Mon 05-Jan-09 22:22:11

We hired a sander plus all the bits for about £60 for 24 hours. It was easy to do but very much like using a very very very heavy vacuum. Varnish didn't cost much. Was very straight forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now