Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much should it cost to get soffits replaced?

(9 Posts)
clumsymum Wed 29-Oct-08 14:44:05

We live in a 4 bed detatched house, which has soffits that are breaking up.

We had a couple of quotes done earlier this year, which came in at around £2000 to £2500 (much more than I expected). I realise that the whoever does the job has to dispose of the old material, which I'm told (by one of the quoters) is asbestos, so is expensive to deal with.

Because we don't have 2 grand to spend, (still paying off the £5000 our double glazing cost us in sept 2007) we haven't had the job done.

One of the companies has just rung, to say they have just had 2 contracts cancelled, and want work to fill the time. They want to come back and requote (hmm, my scepticism emerging now, re the original quotes).

So just how much should soffits cost?

LIZS Wed 29-Oct-08 14:51:51

my dad's bungalow (2 bed but a reasonable size, footprint not unlike a small 4 bed house)was well under a grand a few years back. He had it done in winter to get a hefty discount.

Polgara2 Wed 29-Oct-08 14:54:53

Will ask dh when he comes home - he knows these things. Am sure we had something similar done last year but the technical terms went in one ear and out the other am afraid grin

clumsymum Wed 29-Oct-08 15:00:03

Ah Liz, a bungalow is different, simply because it's lower.

Apparently the elf & safety requirements of scaffolding needed to work at the height of our soffits is one reason the price is soooooooo high.

Apparently hmm

clumsymum Wed 29-Oct-08 15:00:22

Ah Liz, a bungalow is different, simply because it's lower.

Apparently the elf & safety requirements of scaffolding needed to work at the height of our soffits is one reason the price is soooooooo high.

Apparently hmm

clumsymum Wed 29-Oct-08 15:00:54

ooops, how'd that happen ??

clumsymum Wed 29-Oct-08 15:01:32

Polgara, thanks, I'd be grateful..

LIZS Wed 29-Oct-08 17:26:27

I realise that but I'm sure he had both soffits and fascias done and the amount of material and labour to fix would be similar. How high is your house ? We had guttering done off ladders and have seen ladders used for apex.

clumsymum Wed 29-Oct-08 17:43:49

Liz that's interesting, I was told it would all have to be scaffolding, and the labour involved in shuffling the scaffolding round costs money.

It's a standard 2 storey 1980's tikky-takky house, not the Eiffel Tower.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now