Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

why is it now most new builds/council lists have 2 bed 'apartments?';

(4 Posts)
SpandexIsMyEnemy Wed 29-Oct-08 08:27:54

I'm awaiting a council house (hopefully some time next year)

but in the last 2 weeks we've had 15 (yes I know very good amount as mostly it's been over 60's flats all year) but anyhow, 15 new build 2 bed apartments, not even flats so smaller than a flat.

no gardens

do developers/councils not think that those who would like/could afford a 2 bed wouldn't want a 2 bed house instead??

(I only say that as there's also a new build development local on the shares scheme and those are 3 bed houses 2 bed apartments!!)

cheekysealion Wed 29-Oct-08 08:39:51

i know what you mean, i would like to buy a shared ownership house, but all they seem to build round here are apartments..

suppose they can get more properties on the land if they build upwards

SpandexIsMyEnemy Sat 01-Nov-08 08:12:16

that's it, it's so frustrating, I know we're lucky there's even the options of houses on the lists, esp new builds. but do they really thing we (not just me but other folks who want a 2 bed) will only want an apartment?? - why wouldn't we want a house?

lalalonglegs Sat 01-Nov-08 14:09:18

The govt laid down minimum amounts of habitable rooms per acre for most developments that just wouldn't be achieved by doing houses rather than flats. Shared ownership is - rightly or wrongly - aimed more at those trying to get on the bootom rung of the ladder so these sorts of homes were seen as ideal, after all, most people don't move into a house until they have progressed a couple of rungs.

I suspect the reason that lots are suddenly appearing on your council list is due to the fact that many were probably destined to be shared ownership but, as mortgages in that area have been largely withdrawn, deals may have been hammered out to turn them over to affordable rented accommodation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now