Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Worried about a wet patch on ground floor

(16 Posts)
jofeb04 Wed 22-Oct-08 21:27:38

Hiya,

Not sure if anyone will know the answer to this one!

We have got a wet patch on our carpeted floor about 6inches by 8inches wide. The carpet is soggy to touch.
But, it is only wet in this one area, and the carpet goes from being really wet to really dry.

It is in a position where it is very close to the external wall if our extension was not built, and is by the door going into the extension iyswim.

It has seemed to appear from nowhere.

What can it be? Is it likely to be a bust pipe, or something more serious?

Thanks

lalalonglegs Thu 23-Oct-08 16:29:40

What sort of floor have you got underneath? Possibly old damp proof couse was breached while extension was built. Is it definitely coming up from floore and not dripping from ceiling?

jofeb04 Thu 23-Oct-08 20:17:48

Thanks for the response. It is deffinately coming from the floor - but only in the one area. Seems to be drying out, then getting wet again!

jofeb04 Thu 23-Oct-08 20:18:12

Also, extension was built over 6 years ago (in that it was here when we moved in).

cmotdibbler Thu 23-Oct-08 20:44:43

Def sounds like a leaking pipe - you need to look under the carpet asap

tuesdayafternoon Thu 23-Oct-08 20:46:32

Is there a radiator near it?

lalalonglegs Fri 24-Oct-08 09:55:34

Wouldn't a leaking pipe mean it was constantly wet and the patch spread?

jofeb04 Fri 24-Oct-08 10:13:17

There is a radiator near it, and we did think of a leaking pipe. Would it only be on one area though (thinking of the fun of pulling the carpet up!).

Thanks

SaTanicGore Fri 24-Oct-08 10:31:34

Is your bathroom upstairs?

If so, where are the drainage pipes in relation to the extension?

lalalonglegs Fri 24-Oct-08 10:39:49

When does wet patch appear and disappear? Is it in relation to heavy rainfall? If so, would definitely say that it is sucking up ground moisture somehow. I

jofeb04 Fri 24-Oct-08 19:55:18

We haven't noticed the area getting wet at heavy rainfall etc.

Just pulled up the carpet, concrete is wet, but no pooling iykwim.

Getting worried about it now. Could it be a house insurance thing?

lalalonglegs Fri 24-Oct-08 20:07:13

I do think the damp proof course is the cause. My theory is that when ground becomes sodden, wherever the breach is sucks up the moisture - I thought the floor would be solid. You should call a builder.

jofeb04 Fri 24-Oct-08 20:35:46

Ok,
Will look at that tomorrow morning.

Thanks

(Do you know if it is going to be expensive?)

jofeb04 Fri 24-Oct-08 20:36:22

And what would cause the breech to occur (extension has been here for many years - at least 6).

lalalonglegs Sat 25-Oct-08 18:45:51

What causes anything to go wrong? Slight damage when it was built could have deteriorated over the years. No idea how much it will cost I'm afraid - not even sure that is the cause, just my theory.

jofeb04 Sun 26-Oct-08 09:43:01

Thanks lala,

It's seemed to have got wet again as we have had rain over night. Going to look at the damp-proof information we had when we bought the home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now