Talk

Advanced search

DH wants a 'country kitchen and i want a 'modern funky kitchen' how can we compromise???

(9 Posts)
SandyChick Tue 21-Oct-08 21:33:41

Hello, DH has his heart set on a country style kitchen with belfast sink, plate racks etc and i would like glossy and minimal with all the clutter out of sight.

really likes this

I dont mind this but how could we make it a bit more funky/modern??

compromised on the sink, still ceramic but not a big belfast sink

We're having either solid wood floor or limestone style tiles.

What else could we do to add a modern feel?

We're having stainless steel hob/oven/extractor

SandyChick Tue 21-Oct-08 21:37:37

Its the shaker cream. It wont link to the pic of the kitchen

www.magnet.co.uk/

www.mfi.co.uk/products/3080-yourkitchen/kitchen-finishing-touches/your-kitchen-sinksandaccessories/y our-kitchen-sinksandaccessories-ceramic/pid-sbk7152

QuintessentialShadow Tue 21-Oct-08 21:37:50

grin Who is going to spend the most time in there cooking gets the final vote.

saggyhairyarse Tue 21-Oct-08 21:38:18

The links aren't working for me but I just cleaned a bathroom with limestone tiles and they are a bugger to clean, plus they are porous so can stain.

Things like the taps/door furniture will make a difference.

QuintessentialShadow Tue 21-Oct-08 21:41:50

You could change the knobs?

Could this inspire you?

Also check out www.norema.no

NotAnOtter Tue 21-Oct-08 21:46:16

i really want a classic shaker kitchen in white with floor to celing units a la plain english

this sounds countryish BUT it is a big room - all white with aga white brickwork tiles wooden floors (polished) and funky sofas loud bright art etc

this is a mix of both tastes

yomellamoHelly Tue 21-Oct-08 21:47:02

Can't see your links. But how about you go for a traditional style but with two finishes - maybe one wood and one painted and experiment with which mix looks best. Would also go for either very simple chrome or pewter finished handles and chrome taps. You could also have a look at some of those snazzy extendable taps to distract from the ceramic taps! Otherwise may be a glass or stainless steel splashback? Or rectangular / brick shaped tiles. Clever lighting would also make it all look quite snazzy (I like blingy downlighters - or maybe a feature glass pendant over the table?). Agree limestone might not be the best floor finish.

bodycolder Wed 22-Oct-08 19:51:12

my dp is a bit country.I am having white units oak worktops stainless steel range a bit of exposed brick and a very modern sofa but a traditional refectory style table with more modern heals style chairs.Floor plain black tiles and modern art .Am considering wallpapering two alcoves on a white and green bamboo design paper as the are opposite big windows but not sure yet!You can mix the 2 if you are clever ande he will be none the wiser wink

GrapefruitMoon Thu 23-Oct-08 12:07:44

We have a cream shaker-style kitchen but it looks quite modern due to the style of handles (Ikea Varde I think), stainless steel sink with modern taps and worktops are a combination of oak and stainless steel. (Also have stainless steel appliances).

For your magnet one, just changing the handles would make a big difference and maybe see if you can get plain end panels rather than tongue and groove?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now