Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HIP - am I supposed to get a copy?

(12 Posts)
PavlovtheWitchesCat Tue 21-Oct-08 12:35:30

Have terminated my agency contract to sell my flat, we are no longer selling.

Have been advised that a bill for HIP would be sent to us, no problem there as we knew that we would be charged on either completion or on termination of contract to sell.

However, I have never seen any evidence that a HIP was ever completed. A person came around once a took some measurements, but that is all, the agency have never produced anything else.

Should we be expecting a copy of the HIP with the invoice for payment?

Iloveautumn Tue 21-Oct-08 12:38:39

Yes.
I would definitely not pay until I get a copy of the HIP. You may change your mind and put it on again with another agent, or you may decide to rent it out (in which case you will need the energy assessment part of the HIP).

Pretty shoddy that they didn't send it to you.

You have the power though - you haven't paid them yet.

PavlovtheWitchesCat Tue 21-Oct-08 12:42:39

Iloveautumn. Good! I thought this was the case! Just wanted to check it was correct before requesting my copy, prior to paying.

They have not yet sent me an invoice, they have advised they will be sending this, so I will wait for this and see if they send a copy with it before I ask for it.

I am fully expecting them to stall. They have been pretty shoddy overall to be honest.

Flo23 Tue 21-Oct-08 12:47:01

Exactly the same as us, we are probably going to take our house off the market as NOTHING is happening and all the agent says is to keep reducing the price(we'll be giving it away soon)

I have not recieved a copy of the HIP, even though it was done over 2 months ago. I guess if I say we're not paying as we haven't recieved a copy one will arrive quite promptly!

Iloveautumn Tue 21-Oct-08 12:49:12

I wonder if they actually did a proper HIP at all? If all the chap did was take measurements then how did he do the energy assessment bit?

The guy that did ours spent ages looking at all our lightbulbs, windows, in the loft and asked qus about cavity wall insulation etc.

Sounds a little bit dubious to me.

PavlovtheWitchesCat Tue 21-Oct-08 12:53:47

Ilovetheautumn - he asked us what our lightbulbs were, and glanced in our loft, but he would not havebeen able to tell what insulation we had fully without going up there, as its mostly under floorboards! We jst presumed he would guess?

What about the rest of the HIP? I was paying for the full lot, what else should be included?

Flo - wonder if its the same people, same as us...ours told us to reduce it alost immediately even though our price was low to take account of the market. AND, they did not advertise in local paper or on many of the online services. Not surpried we got no interest. They were crap. And rude.

Flo23 Tue 21-Oct-08 12:54:33

Ours was here for about 20 mins, didnt ask me any q's, did have a quick look into the loft and was off again.

I very stupidly agreed to go with the company the estate agent deals with and I think our bill will be somewhere near £500..
This is why I havent asked the agent if they have a copy, am hoping it has got lost in the system somewhere. Am not usually that lucky though!

Flo23 Tue 21-Oct-08 12:55:35

Pavlov..sounds identical!

PavlovtheWitchesCat Tue 21-Oct-08 13:12:38

Flo - almost like us, again, ours is £399 + VAT if we don't sell, free if we do sell (so total is like £470. Like you, hoping they screwed up somewhere...! They are bound to be more efficient than that, money grabbers that they are !

Iloveautumn Tue 21-Oct-08 13:58:13

We went through a HIP direct company, rather than using the estate agent as it was much much cheaper (£250).

As to what is in it, by memory (can't say I looked that closely!!), it has the energy assessment, Land Registry printout and various local authority searches.

Tbh I think they're totally pointless so not really surprised that people are obviously not doing the energy assessment thing very accurately!!

PavlovtheWitchesCat Tue 21-Oct-08 14:00:26

If it is not accurate, I will not pay. End of story. I will only pay for what has been done correctly. If it is done correctly, I have no problem paying (although of course I would prefer not to!) but they are not going to make money out of HIPs if they are cutting corners.

Iloveautumn Tue 21-Oct-08 14:08:02

The whole HIP thing makes me angry really due to it being completely pointless and the fact that I think estate agents are using it to make extra money out of people sad.

Imo they should be forced to tell you that you can get it done independently as they all charge much more than the direct companies for the same product. Even the estate agent who came round and swore blind they were charging it at cost price was £50 more than we eventually got it.

Anyway rant over and I hope you get it all sorted out. Definitely kick up a fuss if it doesn't look like it was even done properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now