Talk

Advanced search

Is there somewhere you find out the rough cost of an extension?

(12 Posts)
DANCESwithLordPsGhost Sun 19-Oct-08 08:43:43

From square footage etc. We aren't at the getting quotes stage but I just want to know if it's at all affordable. Thanks.

Weegle Sun 19-Oct-08 09:20:39

I think you can generally work on £1000 per square metre. DH found a website with a calculator but I can't find it right now, will ask him later.

yomellamoHelly Sun 19-Oct-08 09:33:05

Agree with that price. Think you should also speak to EA to get thier view of how much it would add to the value of your house. Then you know how the ceiling for how much you can spend too (iyswim).

DANCESwithLordPsGhost Sun 19-Oct-08 09:53:00

Is that for single story or two storey Weegle? If your dh remembers that site that would be great! Thanks smile
Good idea youmella smile

DANCESwithLordPsGhost Sun 19-Oct-08 09:53:21

yomella oops!

DaisyMooSteiner Sun 19-Oct-08 10:01:30

We got several estimates last year and they were working on £1300 per sq m for a two-storey extension. These were 'cheap' builders and they said it was because of massive increases in the price of materials. However, these are coming down in price at the moment and it will also depend on the area of the country you are in.

TuttiFrutti Sun 19-Oct-08 13:00:14

Yes, it is a lot more than £1000 per sq m, although it will depend on where you live.

We got 10 quotes last year - we kept going back for more quotes, because we just couldn't believe how expensive it was! We did go ahead in the end though, and are nearly finished now and very pleased with it so far. We chose a builder who wasn't the cheapest, but had excellent references because getting someone reliable and with good quality work was the most important thing for us.

So far, builders doing extensions are still reasonably busy in our area (the South East) although anyone doing new builds has got nothing to do.

KatyMac Sun 19-Oct-08 13:06:37

Single storey will be more per msq than 2 storey (because of things like one roof to cover 2 floors)

But it's marginal

I would reckon on £1200 sqm unless you are in London - where it will go up

ChasingSquirrels Sun 19-Oct-08 14:15:31

I was told about £1k per sm, the only quote I have had so far (from a recommended builder) was £15k+VAT for a 6sm extension (2 outside walls & roof, knocking through & making good, moving radiator and internal door).

DANCESwithLordPsGhost Sun 19-Oct-08 15:36:08

Thanks. It is amazing how much it costs!

Weegle Sun 19-Oct-08 21:04:30

Dh says it is whatprice.co.uk, I haven't been to check that's right so hope so!

I think the £1000 per sq m guideline was per storey, so I guess that would follow that it's more per floor so I guess to me £1300 per two-storey doesn't seem too bad as not double the £1k IYSWIM

Chocolateteapot Mon 20-Oct-08 08:28:37

We were told £1000 per square meter. A fixed price quote for our two storey extension of 45 sq metres in total was £40k.

Friend's DH is a builder and we discussed with him doing it in stages getting the shell done first. His quote for shell only came to £17.5k plus then the internal electrics, plumbing, stud walling, plastering etc, which I'm sure would have come in at much less than the other quote.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now