Talk

Advanced search

Crumbling bricks - who do I need to call?

(4 Posts)
LouiseCazalet Sat 18-Oct-08 20:40:11

Have an open fireplace with exposed bricks in my front room. Have recently noticed that the bricks are badly crumbling away inside the fireplace . . . would anyone know if this is something we can resolve ourselves and does anyone know why this is happening? (we use the fireplace for fires)

Me and DH not very "handy" so do we need a brick layer to come and fix this? Or some kind of chimney expert??

Any suggestions gratefully received!!

lalalonglegs Sat 18-Oct-08 20:45:06

There are lots of reasons your bricks could be crumbling but a good builder can cut out the rotten ones and replace and repoint. Not something you should undertake yourselves.

LouiseCazalet Sat 18-Oct-08 20:57:17

Thank you very much lalalonglegs - this is our first house and I never know if things can be fixed easily by us or if we need to call in a professional! Hope it's not too expensive (And also that our house isn't about to fall down obviously!)

woodstock3 Sat 25-Oct-08 17:43:20

is the room damp?we have this problem with the chimney in the basement and it appears to be damp coming down the chimney....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now