Talk

Advanced search

flooring in living room?

(9 Posts)
misdee Thu 16-Oct-08 21:06:05

have done laminate flooring.

am considering. [gasp] carpet. whats the best hardwearing, least allergenic carpet to go for?

but i think will probably end up with laminate again if nothing suitable.

misdee Thu 16-Oct-08 21:21:56

anyone?

want soemthing a bit warmer.

missingtheaction Thu 16-Oct-08 21:23:13

who will be walking over it?
i used to hate laminate but have bought a house where all downstairs is laminate and i am definitely warming to it. but need a nice big rug for the sitting bit

moshie Thu 16-Oct-08 21:37:28

well, DH, who fits flooring, says Karndean is better than laminate. Warmer underfoot, quieter and you don't have to worry about spillages lifting the edges. Lovely wood effects too.
I think all carpets will harbour dust.

misdee Thu 16-Oct-08 21:53:51

how much is karndean?

previous tenants laid laminate in the hallo but its lifting and warping as has gotton wet by the doors. and is very marked and scratched (they had a big dog).

there will be 4 kids, pram, 2 adults going in and out. no pets.

2 dd's with asthma and allergies, hence why we have had laminate in our old home.

moshie Thu 16-Oct-08 21:59:10

not as cheap as laminate, it varies. Don't really know because we've never had to pay for fitting. try googling for an idea of cost

KatieDD Thu 16-Oct-08 23:27:22

I've gone for engineered wood after much deliberation, costing £18 sqm and should look like new after 5 years i'm told despite daily bleaching by fitters wife.
Will report back next Friday, but I couldn't bear the thought of spending a fortune on carpets after what my kids have done to the bedroom carpets.

lalalonglegs Fri 17-Oct-08 11:02:43

We got a great carpet for our rental flat from carpetright for something absurd like £7 a metre. It isn't wool and it isn't nylon, it's some sort of man-made fibre that is virtually nuclear-proof (know this as we lived in the flat for a few months while our home was being refurbished). I think it was called poly-something or other - ours actually looks like wool but much easier to clean and doesn't give you static shocks as nylon would.I imagine it would be less allergenic than wool as fewer creatures would be attracted to it but, if allergies are your priority, then wood or tiles every time.

Bride1 Fri 17-Oct-08 11:06:51

Some people swear that carpet is better for allergy sufferers as the dust is trapped by the fabric and doesn't rise up to assault the sufferer's nose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now