Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Coat hooks, shoe storage etc

(12 Posts)
MrsMattie Fri 10-Oct-08 18:34:40

Hi there

We need to get our hallway properly organised and avoid the constant pile of coats hanging over the banistee and shoes strewn everywhere.

Are there any tidy people who can advise me on how to achieve this?

Think we need:

- Some sort of coat hooks to screw into wall- preferably something stylish/smart, not those crappy ones you get in B&Q

- Somewhere to store a few pairs of shoes. Why are all shoe storage units so ugly and cheapo looking?

- Possibly somewhere to store umbrellas and bits and bobs like that

Maybe some key hooks or a mail organiser to fit to the wall?

Any ideas?

bozza Fri 10-Oct-08 18:46:04

What is your hallway like? Is it just a narrow corridor?

Ours widens out at the bottom of the stairs and we have a coatstand there. We keep coats/hats on it, also long umberellas and shoes under it. We then have a basket at the other side which has short umberellas, keys, sunglasses etc. Also DC's book bags go behind coatstand. Not room for everything though and I regularly have a cull of coats, shoes etc back to bedrooms.

MrsMattie Sat 11-Oct-08 21:22:04

It's really big and light, but the amount of wall space / space to put thing is minimal, as it has lots of windows and a fireplace.

I;ve never had a hatstand/coatstand before? Where did you get yours from? I'm worried about getting a flimsy one that will fall over all the time!

Pannacotta Sat 11-Oct-08 22:12:00

I don't recommend a freestanding coat stand as they do indeed fall over.
The IKEA Leksvik range has been suggested on here but it is made from pine so not terribly stylish.
I am still struggling with hall storage for our new house, also a big hall but not much obvious wall space.
Am pondering putting up a wall mounted coat rack with a rail like this one
www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60099791
as I prefer to hang coats on hangers than off pegs, if that makes sense.

bozza Sat 11-Oct-08 22:13:33

Ours was from local pine shop. It would only work in certain shapes of space I suppose. Could you get some sort of narrow dresser with hooks on the top bit and a cupboard at the bottom?

Pannacotta Sat 11-Oct-08 22:19:52

Here is the Leksvik hat rack
www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10034194
Am not too keen on the stained pine look myself but it does look very practical and apparently it holds loads of stuff

Shitemum Sat 11-Oct-08 22:22:06

I have the IKEA leksvik bench with cubbyholes under it for shoes. Ok, would rather have an antique one but if you get the darker stained one it's not too bad. Could do with a basket or two that would fit the cubby holes exactly for the DDs tiny shoes as could fit more in that way and pull basket out to see/find them better.

Have you got a cupboard in the hall? My plan is to put up some hooks but not too many so they dont fill up {wish-full thinking} and then keep most coats on hangers in the built-in wardrobe.
I have one of those Indian fret-wood letter racks that i might screw to wall behind door and put hooks along the underside of for keys...
Umbrellas are best in a proper old brolly stand IMO. Am planning to put a hanging organiser thing inside door of cupboard/wardrobe for bits and pieces, gloves, hats etc.

Shitemum Sat 11-Oct-08 22:25:41

hmm, i'm not too keen on the leksvik hat rack - the cubby holes look a bit useless and the hooks are ugly, tho you could put different ones I suppose.
Have just had a thought that the Leksvik bench might look better painted satin white or black if your house is old.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Sat 11-Oct-08 22:26:10

You could try antique shops or Ebay for a Victorian/Edwardian coatstand, which will fit close to the wall. Ours will take an unfeasible number of coats and umbrellas.

Pannacotta Sat 11-Oct-08 22:26:54

Shitemum is the Leksvik bench varnished?
Am wondering if I should get it and paint it (the pine wouldn't look right in our hall).

Shitemum Sun 12-Oct-08 20:54:43

It is varnished but not shiny, effect is more like it's been waxed, you could give it a quick rub down with a bit of fine sandpaper and the paint would stick ok I think. It would be better to paint it before assembling it too.

Pannacotta Sun 12-Oct-08 22:49:35

Thanks for that, think I might order it, need to instill some order here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now