Talk

Advanced search

Have received an offer on our house - aaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhh

(18 Posts)
fruitstick Fri 10-Oct-08 08:58:35

Have reposted from money/legal

We have an offer on our house which is roughly what we paid for it 3 years ago. Is the first proper offer we have received in 4 months.

The plan is to accept it, rent near my family (100 miles away), move DS nursery, give birth, look for another house to buy this time next year.

Would love to hold out for more money but don't think we are going to get it and baby is due in 4 months. We really can't afford to pay our current mortgage for very long if I'm on maternity leave again.

Is this a terrible terrible idea? Please can sometime tell me that it's the only sensible decision in this current market.

noddyholder Fri 10-Oct-08 09:00:21

Take it.Have you seen the news.An offer of only 3 yrs ago is good.If you wait the next offer will be less not more.The banks will never lend like they did in the past so if you have a buyer with the money bite their hand off good luck with it xx

missblythe Fri 10-Oct-08 09:04:29

Take it.

That is what's worth now, and if you don't take it, you'll be waiting a long time for another offer, which may well end up being a lot less.

Bummer, I know, but at least you can move!

OneLieIn Fri 10-Oct-08 09:12:37

Take it. Can I be the negative one and say have a plan B ready. In our area 60% of all offers accepted are not going through to completion. We are one of them

Good luck, take it.

Jampot Fri 10-Oct-08 09:16:28

I say take it too - you can't move on with your plan without it. Although I too am hearing loads of stories about house sales falling through - be prepared to jump through hoops for your purchasers. And Congratulations

fruitstick Fri 10-Oct-08 09:52:42

We can't rent it out without doing some serious cosmetic improvements wink as it has slight toddler damage.

To be honest it's a gamble on the market not recovering by next year, and also suspecting that selling a house with 2 children in it is going to much harder work than it has been this time (which has been quite stressful)

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and well-placed caution.

noddyholder Fri 10-Oct-08 09:58:45

The market will not recover next year or any time soon.The whole banking system is shot.Take it.

forevercleaning Fri 10-Oct-08 10:09:53

deffo take the offer. You will be in a perfect position next year when you find your new home.

Sellers will be falling over themselves to keep you. No chain is a huge bonus these days. Good luck.

hanaflowerate3scones Fri 10-Oct-08 10:12:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

woodenchair Fri 10-Oct-08 10:21:53

another take it from me!

you are lucky to have got an offer at all and to match the price you paid for it is good. we accepted an offer of what we paid for our house in 2004!

If you have some money for a deposit you will be in a very strong position next year.

good luck

lalalonglegs Fri 10-Oct-08 15:50:56

I wish I had something more original to say but I would definitely take it.

lalalonglegs Fri 10-Oct-08 15:50:57

I wish I had something more original to say but I would definitely take it.

lalalonglegs Fri 10-Oct-08 15:51:32

So unoriginal, I said it twice blush

ConnorTraceptive Fri 10-Oct-08 15:53:48

If you need to move then take it. House prices won't be going up anytime soon. Better to get what you paid for it than less.

Rindercella Fri 10-Oct-08 16:46:49

Take it. Just don't invest the capital in any Icelandic banks. Personally I cannot see the housing market picking up any time soon, so you should be in a fantastic position in a year's time.

elkiedee Fri 10-Oct-08 16:50:07

Yes, take it and split the money between savings accounts in different institutions, preferably not ex-mutuals.

Good luck.

critterjitter Fri 10-Oct-08 22:38:52

Take a look at the property headlines in The London Evening Standard tonight!

PerkinWarbeck Sun 12-Oct-08 18:14:29

we've just done exactly what you describe grin! We got a smidge more than we paid for our old flat a couple of years ago, and are now in rented accommodation 200 miles away, where the cost of living is cheaper. we have our deposit ready, and are hoping to buy in 6-12 months when the dust has settled on the current turbulence.

good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now