Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen floor opinions please!

(16 Posts)
Bramshott Wed 08-Oct-08 18:22:53

Okay, so after the second flood in 2 years (leaking dishwasher, and then leaking water softener unit) the slate-effect laminate on our kitchen floor is officially buggered. Soooo, what should I get to replace it O wise ones of Mumsnet?! Should I go for:

(a) slate-look vinyl tiles
(b) sheet vinyl in slate or terracott look (I think this might look nicer than tiles, but I don't really know why)
(c) terracotta or slate proper tiles (which will cost loads, but last well, but won't I break everything when it drops onto them)?
(d) Amtico - what's that? I have heard about it, but isn't it dead expensive?
(e) more laminate - not really an option as we buggered the last one so effectively and it was a pain to put down

Soo, what do you have on your kitchen floor, and if you were re-doing it, what would you go for? It's a Victorian cottage-type house if that makes a difference, and the kitchen is dark.

compo Wed 08-Oct-08 18:25:46

we've got c)
they look fab but yes, if you drop anything it is gone for good
easy to clean though

moshie Wed 08-Oct-08 18:26:21

Amtico is fab, vinyl tiles but can look like wood or slate. There are loads of designs to choose from, it is very expensive though, Karndean is a good alternative, less pricey but still not cheap.

oooggs Wed 08-Oct-08 19:43:35

Hi Bramshott - we had this laid last month.

We have an upstairs kitchen so laminate wouldn't have been much good due to the give/bounce in the floor and slate tiles (which is what I wanted) was also a no no.

MrsMattie Wed 08-Oct-08 19:46:28

We got a terracotta-style ceramic floor laid a couple of months ago. It's fantastic. Very easy to keep clean and not as cold underfoot as we'd feared. We did look at Amtico, too, as it's supposed to be very hard wearing. Depends what look you're going for, really.

FeelingLucky Wed 08-Oct-08 19:53:07

Amtico - if you can afford it.
There's a next rung down from Amtico (can't remember name) that John Lewis sell.

slate looking vinyl looks tacky to me ... sorry to those who have this.

yomellamoHelly Wed 08-Oct-08 19:53:57

We have laminate effect vinyl. Is quite dark in our kitchen (Victorian 2-up 2-down + extension type affair) so wanted something light. At time had laminate in neighbouring room so chose beech type colour to match that. Only thing I'd change is that it has a textured surface, given the choice again I'd go for a smooth one.

Bramshott Wed 08-Oct-08 20:08:45

Lovely, lovely, good ideas - keep them coming - all views welcomed!

MingMingtheWonderPet Wed 08-Oct-08 20:12:47

Slate very unforgiving if you drop anything, and can be cold and hard on the feet if you are standing on it for too long.

We have Amtico which is great, tho not cheap (but then what is nowadays!) Karndean very similar but a bit cheaper. IIRC it wroked out at £50 per sq metre supplied and fitted.

jicky Wed 08-Oct-08 20:19:40

we have dalsouple rubber tiles which are fab - you can custom pick your own colours and patterns.

We have marmoleum (lino) in the toy room which is nice - but prefer the rubber.

TaleofTwoCities Wed 08-Oct-08 20:29:58

We've got Karndean - it's warm underfoot and hardwearing. They have a showroom (can't remember where it is) where you can see their entire range and work out exactly what you want and if I remember correctly take home free samples.

TaleofTwoCities Wed 08-Oct-08 20:32:22

Just checked, it's near Evesham....it was a bit of a long drive for us!

blithedance Wed 08-Oct-08 20:33:22

Was just going to suggest Karndean. A number of times I have asked about a lovely wood floor/tiled floor and discovered it was something like that. Kitchen floor, you need it to take the knocks.

We have terracotta tiles, nothing stains but after a bit you do start to wonder if the grouting will ever be really clean.

pluto Wed 08-Oct-08 20:35:05

Karndean is really good. Very hard wearing and plenty of design. They have a website and you can order free samples from it.

FAQ Wed 08-Oct-08 20:36:28

I have red quarry stone tiles on my kitchen floor - love them dearly <<<<<<,wish I could take them all up when I move>>>>>>>>>

Bramshott Thu 09-Oct-08 10:06:16

Thanks ladies - I am waiting for my Karndean samples to come, then getting ready to work on DH to prove we can afford it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now