Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that if you are buying a house you don't just turn up the doorstep and force your way in?

(24 Posts)
Weegle Wed 01-Oct-08 12:22:58

Because that's what's just happened to me and I'm a bit shaken up TBH. We have recently accepted their offer. I am in bed, really not feeling well at all with a bladder infection and the anti-bio's are making me throw up. There's hard knocking at the door, repeatedly for nearly 5 minutes. I ignored for ages and then thought maybe it was emergency so went down and there's our purchaser who starts asking questions. I said I'm not well etc (I'm stood in my PJ's on the verge of being sick for goodness sake, shivering because I have a temperature). He then pushed his way past me in to the house to measure the kitchen. I just sat on the stairs and waited for him to leave as I couldn't handle it. Surely he should ring the agent to make an appointment??? I wouldn't dream of turning up on the doorstep of where we are buying, let alone pushing my way past someone who's clearly unwell in their own home. And he seemed so accusatory asking again "so why do you want to move?", asking to see our original survey we had done when we bought it, but maybe that's just because I was feeling so vulnerable and taken aback that a virtually unknown bloke has forced his way in to my house when I feel so ill sad. It's not normal is it?

Rubyrubyruby Wed 01-Oct-08 12:24:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pawslikepaddington Wed 01-Oct-08 12:24:35

No, not normal-he is a bad man!

bellavita Wed 01-Oct-08 12:25:43

No, this is not normal, I would complain to the estate agents and ask that all meetings/questions go through them.

Am sorry you are not feeling very well.

(((((hugs to you)))))

SpinMeRightRound Wed 01-Oct-08 12:26:03

The buyers of our previous house did this all the time. It got to the point where I just wouldn't answer the door anymore.

Have a word with the estate agent or they'll be round all the time!!!

Weegle Wed 01-Oct-08 12:27:11

Thank you, I feel quite shaken (but then maybe that's because I'm not well??). Trying to get hold of DH to tell him but he's in a meeting, I really can't face ringing the agents right now, I'll likely cry or something stupid.

Guadalupe Wed 01-Oct-08 12:27:26

Not at all normal, complain to your agent.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 01-Oct-08 12:27:37

Get a chain for your door and use it.

Complain to the estate agent though tbh not sure what they can do.

I would watch out for them scamming you for something at the last minute. Asking why you are moving again sounds like they are looking for problems so they can then offer less.

angry for you.

Hope you are feeling better now.

LilRedWG Wed 01-Oct-08 12:28:18

Not normal at all - speak to your estate agents. Am shock at this behaviour.

psychomum5 Wed 01-Oct-08 12:28:31

angry............that is so far from normal i would say it is verging on trespass.

he has not yet purchased the house, therefore he is NOT entitled to barge his way in!

IIWY I would ring the estate agents/solicitors and put a complaint against him.

in fact, I would even be temtped to withdraw sale, but that would be cutting of my nose to spite my face, so I proabably wouldn't. would threaten it tho!!!

how are you feeling now?? Hope you feel better soon.

LilRedWG Wed 01-Oct-08 12:28:56

Call them - it doesn't matter if you cry.

SoupDragon Wed 01-Oct-08 12:29:47

You should have thrown up on his feet.

Definitely complain to the agent and say he is not allowed round again unless a) he has an appointment and b) the agent accompanies him as you felt threatened.

Weegle Wed 01-Oct-08 12:32:53

Feel rotten sad. Made worse by the fact I had just dropped off for the first time since before midnight.

ImNotMamaG - that's what I've been wondering. It took them ages to settle on the offer (nearly two weeks of negotiations) and we have literally settled at the lowest we could go - if they pull anything out to try to lower the offer we will have no choice but to walk away as I know our vendors have also therefore settled at their lowest (they're nice normal people!).

Just spoken to DH - he's calling the agents now. Really don't want to piss them off though as we so want this house.

noddyholder Wed 01-Oct-08 12:33:13

that is terrible Ring the agent!

iloverosycheeks Wed 01-Oct-08 12:39:53

Absolutely not! This happened to my MIL, the people would turn up and then walk round going 'oh yeh we'll be changing that' and pulling faces, disturbed a birthday party for my DP, had my MIL in tears... however they did ask first at least but after two visits my MIL said no more, as it was upsetting her too much.

mumoverseas Wed 01-Oct-08 12:41:49

what a complete bastard! I would also think about getting your solicitor to contact his and tell him that his behaviour is unacceptable. In the very minimum, contact the estate agents.
on a vindictive note, if you are leaving the curtains sew prawns in the hem!Or, if leaving the carpets, just before you leave make them a bit damp and sprinkle cress seeds on them!

Weegle Wed 01-Oct-08 12:47:53

DH just spoken to agent. Apparently she said it is absolutely "outrageous behaviour". It's actually this man's son who is buying the place for his parents so the agent is going to call the son and tell him that it's not to happen again. I won't be answering the door unless I'm expecting someone, that's for sure. Apparently this man is in the agents every day asking stupid questions, so I think he's got trouble written all over him, and he's retired and obviously got far too much time on his hands.

OrmIrian Wed 01-Oct-08 12:50:12

Poor you weegle. Not acceptable behaviour at all angry

Weegle Wed 01-Oct-08 13:13:47

Thanks all, feeling calmer now.

psychomum5 Wed 01-Oct-08 13:27:41

am glad that the estate agents are taking it in hand for you.

hope you can rest better now and feel better soon.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 01-Oct-08 13:48:59

Is there anyway you can pull out of this sale? He sounds such a nasty piece of work. If he tries it again you must call the police.

noddyholder Wed 01-Oct-08 13:53:14

Be wary An elderly lady bought our flat years ago.She lived in london and we are in brighton and she would turn up at all times.One evning she came and lnocked on the flat below us and started quizzing him about his fence! then the day before exchange she rang me from tunbridge wells and said she was having a day out and preferred TW to brighton and she might change her mind!She eventually bought from us though.BUT about a year later we found her wandering about knocking doors in our new street trying to find us to ask us a question

It's horrible, happened just the same to us, buyer turned up (plus extended family) unannounced more than once and when we objected threatened to pull out of deal altogther.

So poor you, but I would be wary of making too much fuss. We wished we hadn't.

PrettyCandles Wed 01-Oct-08 13:58:17

#Disgraceful behaviour. He has no right whatsoever to enter your house - it is not his.

BTW, he has no right to see your survey, either.

This is the behaviour of a bully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now