Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

repairing my cooker - how can I loosen the scews?

(9 Posts)
Cadbury Wed 01-Oct-08 10:40:23

And indeed reach them!

I have ordered a new spillage tray that goes under the electric rings of the hob bit. The tray is badly corroded and has rusted right through in places and the insurance I have on the thing doesn't cover rust so that's why I'm doing this myself (bare in mind that my dh is really not a diy kind of guy)

I have got a couple of fastenings off at the front and one of the 4 screws (*in pairs) that hinge the part with the rings on it to the current spillage tray. But I can't access the screw of the screw of the pair that is further back and the other pair of screws won't budge at all. I have used wire wool to clean them as much as possible and sprayed with wd40 to see if that helps ut they are very difficult to get to.. Now my fingers are cut to pieces witht the wire wool and I don't know what to do to get the screws loose.

Long shot, I know, but can anyone give me any ideas?

Cadbury Wed 01-Oct-08 10:48:50

noone any ideas?

Cadbury Wed 01-Oct-08 11:11:28

please?

I want to cook soup on it tonight.

Furball Wed 01-Oct-08 11:13:44

is there a manual on the manufacturers website?

snice Wed 01-Oct-08 11:14:18

Put some coke on them to dissolve the rust. Also sometimes you can make them move by tightening the screw slightly first before you try to uscrew.

SaintGeorge Wed 01-Oct-08 11:15:32

Have you tried tightening them slightly first?

I know it sounds daft, but it often works.

A 1/2 turn to tighten then turn back the other way.

Cadbury Wed 01-Oct-08 11:17:25

thankyou - will try all of the above.
Do you think that diet coke will work?
It's all I have in.

Cadbury Wed 01-Oct-08 20:32:01

can I bump this for any evening mnetters that are diy savy . . . .

Cadbury Fri 03-Oct-08 09:44:20

snice! you are a genius! the coke worked a treat - it 3as as if the screws had never been stuck. The spillage tray is changed over and now hopfully my oven won't leak out all its heat!

thanks to the others for their advice too.

kisses all round xxxxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now