Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

fitting a carpet - easy or not???

(11 Posts)
sweetcat Tue 30-Sep-08 20:00:35

We have a carpet for DS's room, which is a regular square apart from one wall. I think it should be straightforward to fit but DH thinks not.

Anyone done it and can a carpet fitting virgin do it?

Any tips gratefully received

TIA

sweetcat Tue 30-Sep-08 20:02:38

will be back to check later, if anyone replies I am not ignoring you

phdlife Tue 30-Sep-08 20:03:45

in our flat, carpets were professionally fitted in 3/4 of the rooms.

landlord - an electrician - did it in 4th room. as a result carpet is bunched, loose, and torn. carpet fitter I was talking to the other day laughed and said, "yeah, everyone thinks it looks easy..."

hth

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 30-Sep-08 20:05:04

I wouldn't even attempt it tbh. Carpet has to be stretched properly or will be a total disaster.

cmotdibbler Tue 30-Sep-08 20:06:01

If its a small room, and a cheap carpet with no underlay, then its pretty easy - you just glue it down around the edge starting at the straighest edge. We did a couple of rooms in our first house and they looked fine.

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 30-Sep-08 20:08:44

It's definitely not easy.

DH fitted the carpet in our back bedroom, mainly because we had a spare bit of carpet and we were a bit skint. It's ok, but it is not completely stretched evenly, and you can tell that it wasn't fitted professionally. Also, it took him ages and was hell on the knees.

He's not keen to repeat the experience...

nickytwotimes Tue 30-Sep-08 20:09:29

It's one of the few jobs I wouldn't do myself.
It is not very expensive to have someone do it and it looks about a million times better.

sweetcat Tue 30-Sep-08 21:00:12

Oh, OK thanks all for replying. I will find out about a local fitter then, hopefully it won't be too expensive.

trixymalixy Tue 30-Sep-08 21:39:17

My DH fitted a carpet in a really small room in our house. He hired the proper tools, but it took him forever, soooo not worth the effort.

Waswondering Tue 30-Sep-08 21:41:04

FWIW we bought a remnant for dd's room, £80, and then paid £40 for the same company to fit it. It took them about 10 mins iirc with the right tools. It would have taken dh A LOT longer than that. Well worth the money imo. Wouldn't attempt it ourselves.

Fizzylemonade Wed 01-Oct-08 11:30:16

The knee kicker thing they use to stretch the carpet is £30 for a basic one, by the time you have bought that you could have paid to have it fitted!

Cost us £30 to have a carpet fitted in a 10' X 9' room.

It is one of those things (like plastering) that looks easy and isn't. When they fitted the carpet the bloke was training a young chap and we watched (having a toddler is a great excuse to watch workmen) and it was a lot trickier than I thought!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now