Talk

Advanced search

Buying a new kitchen-please give us ideas.

(8 Posts)
Febes Mon 22-Sep-08 11:01:21

Freestanding oven or oven and hob separate?
Duel fuel or all gas oven and hob??
White kitchen cupboards? We want an Oak real wood bench top so white will look good but is it practical? We have 10 month old and one on the way.

NorbertDentressangle Mon 22-Sep-08 11:05:34

A good start is often to get in a company that will do a kitchen plan for you -they take measurements and then do a layout on their computer based on what units and storage you want. You'll get a print-out of what it looks like.

They should take into account where the plumbing/electrical points are and look at your options with you.

Did you have a company in mind? (have you seen a kitchen somewhere that you like?)

luvaduck Mon 22-Sep-08 11:06:49

how about white high gloss with oak worktops?? easy to clean and looks modern and great

Sam100 Mon 22-Sep-08 11:11:26

Wood looks good but needs regular oiling to keep it looking good and water resistant. This can be a pain if you like/need appliances out on your work surfaces as you have to move everything off, oil and then leave to dry before you can put everything back. Or at least that is what I found! Also need to be careful about the type of sink as wood and water not a good mix. We were advised against a belfast sink as we wanted wood work surface.

Had a freestanding oven before but now have a high level oven and separate hob and much prefer the fact that the oven is out of the reach of small children!

rubyloopy Mon 22-Sep-08 12:22:45

Message withdrawn

Febes Mon 22-Sep-08 17:47:43

Thanks everyone xx

Piffle Mon 22-Sep-08 18:00:13

we've just designed and ordered our new kitchen from john lewis first range
White gloss - we have wood type floor so not taking wood worktops despite loving the way they look
We arehaving Maia worktops sourced via Internet and our fitter is fitting everything
We have gone for induction hob as I detest cleaning gas hobs (I cook a lot) and built under dbl oven all johnlewis appliances.
Am umming about worktop colour though.
And am having coloured glass splashbacks as hate tiles. Also sourcing via net
But not sure re colour and what to do with wall colour!
Feel free to obsess with me
Best thing is to get a budget and then you know whether you can afford bespoke/handmade or ikea
What are you thinking of so far?

Furball Mon 22-Sep-08 18:09:18

highly reccommend pan drawers, very handy and no scrabbling around on your hands and knees looking for the right pan and lid.

also we didn't go for tiles just a little upstand, which looks good.

I have a stainless range type oven - which I lurve, it's so easy to clean with a wet ecloth it just wipes effortlessly off. Also have a stainless steel back splash, which others here hav said is a nightmare, but I've nver had any trouble with mine. It has one big oven, so everything fits in, no shifting shelves and the likes trying to fit a roast, potatoes and an apple pie in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now