Talk

Advanced search

Hallway flooring options

(9 Posts)
GloriaMumble Sat 20-Sep-08 14:36:02

Just put an offer in on our "forever" house, its not even been accepted/rejected yet so I'm probably jumping ahead a bit but interested in hallway flooring options...

Its a big hallway (more of an extra reception room) so, knowing us, it'll be filled with buggies, muddy shoes, wet coats on rack etc. At the moment it has a pale carpet. Obviously the carpet is unsuitable for how we will use the hallway so what are our alternatives?

I'd love a wood/parquet floor but we currently have an oiled oak floor and tbh it's not that practical - any drips of water have to be wiped immediately or they mark the wood...then again tiling, although v easily mopable would be awfully cold in the winter... anyone got any useful suggestions that will take my mind off what needs to be done to our current house before we can move out!

cocopops Sat 20-Sep-08 17:00:29

i have the american oak karndean in my hall and its fab. It looks really good, you can hoover it and wash it. I don't find it cold in winter.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 20-Sep-08 17:11:32

Oooo - I have the same as cocopops.

sallystrawberry Sat 20-Sep-08 17:19:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 20-Sep-08 17:19:02

We have a varnished reclaimed wood hall floor -its great as its already been naturally aged with years of use in its original setting and it means that we don't have to be too precious over it.

Its also a big hall so, like in the house you're hping to get, it gets used lots, bikes occasionally get left there etc

If someone comes in with muddy boots or one of the children drags a stick along it thats fine it can be mopped down and any scratches or marks "add to the character".

sallystrawberry Sat 20-Sep-08 17:21:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

noddyholder Sat 20-Sep-08 17:40:07

I am moving to similar and plan to haev tiles with underfloor heating Wood is lovely too though

moshie Sat 20-Sep-08 18:09:56

also recommend Karndean, looks like wood but without the maintenance problems.

GloriaMumble Sat 20-Sep-08 22:45:13

hmm, Karndean looks nice but I'll need to persuade DH that its not to lino-y looking...

don't suppose anyone knows of a electrician and a plumber/tiler in SW london whilst you're here? (this is for current house btw, I'm not jumping the gun THAT much :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now