Talk

Advanced search

I found something really interesting out ....for all you major DIY'ers

(12 Posts)
stoppinattwo Sat 20-Sep-08 08:04:31

Reclaim your VAT

apologies if im wrong, but it looks like you can reclaim the VAT on materials on major DIY jobs if you claim within 3 months of completion of the works.

If this is arefurb on an existing property you can also claim the VAT back on labour (doesnt apply for new build sad)

Just thought I would share this as VAT equates to nearly 5% of the works cost shock

stoppinattwo Sat 20-Sep-08 16:39:59

bump smile

geekgirl Sat 20-Sep-08 16:41:59

I think unfortunately that only applies to a new-built house, and not to any other kind of building work hmm

edam Sat 20-Sep-08 16:43:41

yeah, you have to build a whole house if you want to claim back the VAT!

stoppinattwo Sat 20-Sep-08 18:49:59

it doesnt just apply to new build though!! it also applies to refurbishments....infact for refurb you can claim back on labour as well as materials

stoppinattwo Sat 20-Sep-08 18:51:03

Conversions: These are also zero rated but, unlike new build, you do have to pay out VAT on labour costs, although you can reclaim this at the end of the project
Renovations: The same VAT rules which apply to conversions also apply to renovations if they have been unoccupied for at least 10 years
Unoccupied Renovation: A 5% VAT rate applies to; the renovation of dwellings which have been unoccupied for 3 years, the conversion of an existing property into multiple dwellings, the conversion of a dwelling into a care home, or the conversion of a dwelling into bedsit accommodation

edam Sat 20-Sep-08 22:38:57

Yes, but you aren't exactly talking about DIY, are you, even 'major' DIY?

On conversions, they don't mean converting your loft, they mean major building works – converting non-habitable property into living accommodation. Turning a barn into a house, or splitting a house into flats. This is not DIY!

stoppinattwo Sun 21-Sep-08 15:21:21

blimey ok edam...what is the problem!!!

wtf are you having a go at me, was i complaining?....no, was I being shitty about something?....no, I was making possibly a helpful suggestion for someone who could possibly claim some money back???...yes.

There is absolutely no reason to be so condescending, keep your miserable arse comments to yourself!!!!...and tuck your soap box back under your bed!!!!

SaintGeorge Sun 21-Sep-08 15:25:09

Woah!

Why are you having a go at edam?

You offered some info in good faith. Edam (and geekgirl) both politely pointed out that you were a little wrong in your interpretation.

You even quoted the info yourself that points out that VAT reclamation does not apply to jobs that anyone would describe as 'DIY'.

I think you owe edam an apology for that last post.

stoppinattwo Sun 21-Sep-08 15:37:37

I said in my op apologies if im wrong.....

It does apply to DIY..click on the link it says at the bottom Refunds for DIY builders. We have just converted our garage to a utility room and this qualifies for VAT refund....If you do it yourself, that is DIY,

where did i quote in my own info about VAT reclamation not applying to jobs that anyone would describe as DIY???

SaintGeorge Sun 21-Sep-08 15:59:33

I think your definition of 'DIY' is somewhat different to that which most people would have.

The IR page you linked to refers to 'DIY Builders' and the whole form is in reference to Self-Build.

I was referring to your post of 20-Sep-08 18:51:03, were you (I assume) cut and pasted info from the site regarding conversions and renovations. Again, neither are things that the average Joe would call DIY.

I have looked myself on the IR website and according to the info I have found, see here, I don't think your garage conversion qualifies. I hope I am wrong and you can claim.

Regardless, I still think your post to edam was nasty and unwarranted.

stoppinattwo Sun 21-Sep-08 16:27:25

you know what...the mood im in today...I really couldnt give two hoots...Im sorry st george, but I was trying to help,

Other things are more important to me atm, so I shall just leave this thread as it is, Im not in the mood to apologise to anyone, but you are a decent soul and I dont want you to think Im being unreasonable.

Edam if i have offended you then I am sorry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now