Talk

Advanced search

Non magnolia light wall colour

(35 Posts)
Pawslikepaddington Fri 19-Sep-08 22:50:51

What colour have you used/looks good? Have lived with magnolia since 1989 and am bored of it!!! grin Need to paint new house before furniture goes in.

BoysArrrrLikeDogs Fri 19-Sep-08 22:52:24

Natural hessian

wink

We have Tealight it is magnolia by another name

emkana Fri 19-Sep-08 22:52:34

We're currently having our lounge done in Jasmine White

'tis nice

tortoiseshell Fri 19-Sep-08 22:55:18

Our downstairs is apricot white which is a more interesting version of magnolia!

ChasingSquirrels Fri 19-Sep-08 22:57:15

our lounge is a very pale gold, I like it.

Kittenthatwas Fri 19-Sep-08 22:58:29

White is better than any off colour.

Pawslikepaddington Fri 19-Sep-08 23:13:06

Oooh I like natural hessian too! Is Jasmine white a bit pink? White seems too stark to me for some reason! grin

ninedragons Fri 19-Sep-08 23:13:43

The palest, palest tinge of pink in cream paint makes everyone in the room look fantastic - you get a really flattering glow on your skin.

MinkyBorage Fri 19-Sep-08 23:15:58

I'd be tempted by white, but we have lounge and dining room painted in swansdown which is a dulux trade colour, and it is gorgeous. I hate yellowy shades of off white, and this is creamy, but with a hint of mushroom, but it is still pale enough to be light. I didn't like the farrow and ball off whites, they are all a little too yellowy cream

Pawslikepaddington Fri 19-Sep-08 23:16:14

Mmmmm, I want to get painting NOW! Hate it once I get started though! grin

BoysArrrrLikeDogs Fri 19-Sep-08 23:18:15

Pure white is v harsh hence all the shades of magnolia

mazzystar Fri 19-Sep-08 23:20:34

dulux Mellow Heathers - its the palest, subtlest, grey with hint of lavendar, very calming and fresh

Pawslikepaddington Fri 19-Sep-08 23:25:55

Ooooh I love the sound of Mellow Heathers!! And swansdown too, too many v similar colours that are SO different! grin

singledadofthree Fri 19-Sep-08 23:26:56

tried loads of shades of creams etc to get right one. get matchpots and do test patches in different parts of the room so you can see how they look in different light/shade, sunlight/artificial light. the colours can vary a lot depending on how the light affects them. ive used antique cream cos it looks the best in low light/night time. in sunlight tho its almost white, but am rarely in during the day.

Pawslikepaddington Fri 19-Sep-08 23:33:28

I'm such a generaliser but would never have thought a daddy would notice! grin. Homebase has 10% off tomorrow and a dulux offer too, must choose tomorrow!! grin

ballbaby Sat 20-Sep-08 00:04:18

Dulux do a soft olive which is really nice

mumhadenough Sat 20-Sep-08 00:06:15

Antique cream is nice.

LovelyDear Sat 20-Sep-08 00:07:08

fired earth do some good colours. oak apple, bone and alabaster are lovely. but there are loads of neutral shades in their range.

littlelapin Sat 20-Sep-08 00:12:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mamazee Sat 20-Sep-08 00:48:43

the farrow and ball whites are lovely. having just painted my living room (in strong white)in one i can say that they are ABSOLUTELY worth every penny. i thought they were a total rip off but it looks totally different to any other paint i have come across.

they do beautiful greys too.
testers are very expensive though but the tester card is quite good. my MIL has joas white in her bedroom and it looks stunning.

Pawslikepaddington Sat 20-Sep-08 10:07:49

I've got to do a whole house though-would they be too expensive? I love them so much though-the paint looks wonderful on the walls-you can always tell a Farrow and Ball house! smile

Pawslikepaddington Sat 20-Sep-08 10:13:24

F & B isn't actually THAT much more expensive (sticks on Barbour jacket and Barbour wellies and calls over the hunting dogs!). I am so excited now!!! What would be a good (Non pink-eurgh-horrid lurid pink springs to mind!) colour for dd's room? Still want it light enough to be able to be used by a poss little boy when the house is passed on, but at the same time want it to be an obviously special colour for her (tricky one this!) grin. We do have it for three years though, so can always repaint before we move out xx

Pawslikepaddington Sat 20-Sep-08 10:14:01

P.S. Only horrid lurid pink because that is the only pink she would want, not because there are no others available!

katch Sat 20-Sep-08 10:18:14

Paint Library has a range of greys, from off-white to a stone colour. Have seen them in the premises of an interior designer and they looked gorgeous, stylish and classy.

I was on a 2 day course there, and she also said she didn't rate F & B, always tries to use Paint Library.

Pawslikepaddington Sat 20-Sep-08 10:52:57

Oh god they look gorgeous too-this is paint overload! I'm going to have to go into a shop I think before my head explodes with the choice! grin xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now