Talk

Advanced search

need to ask you about your drive way please.

(16 Posts)
deanychip Fri 19-Sep-08 20:49:07

Ok, we desperately need ours doing.
I have had companies round and there is:
Tarmac with brick edging
Flag stones
imprinted concrete stuff.

prices from £2,300 to £12k

what have you got and why did you chose it and what are the positives and negatives of what you have got, what do i need to consider??????

NomDePlume Fri 19-Sep-08 20:53:00

mine is brick block paving.

It was here when we bought the house.

Negatives are bloody weeds angry. The drive is huge, so there's an enormous surface area of cracks for the little feckers monkeys to grow.

deanychip Fri 19-Sep-08 20:57:02

yeah, not keen on block paving for that reason..

issyissyissy Fri 19-Sep-08 20:57:30

We have just had ours done. Tarmac with brick edging. Was much cheaper than block paving although I dont think it lasts any longer. It looks very smart!

Pannacotta Fri 19-Sep-08 22:57:53

Ours is brickweave but we are going to take it up and replace with shingle.
Brick weave is awful for drainage - our drive slopes down to the garage which floods every time it rains.
Shingle is much cheaper than paving, looks much nicer IMO and is much better for drainage.

ChasingSquirrels Fri 19-Sep-08 23:01:52

we have shingle, it was here when we moved it
cons - weeds, crap to push p/chair across and kids can't ride bikes on it
pros - apparently deters burglars (it crunchs), you can hear people coming

stoppinattwo Sat 20-Sep-08 08:14:23

dont do imprint concrete incase you ever have any problems with your drains...if someone has to dig through it it will leave a patch where they reistate....same with bitmac. Block paving or flagging is the best option, because if you ever want to change your driveway or repair it ir it sinks or gets oil stains you can just change/ move the blocks of flags. smile

Ours is flagged

stoppinattwo Sat 20-Sep-08 08:16:48

you can get block paving sealed btw with sometihng called resin bond this should stop the weed growth and before they lay the blocks down they should put a weed barrier (like a roll of mesh) down under the sand to stop weeks coming up through the blocks smile

stoppinattwo Sat 20-Sep-08 08:17:03

lol weeds not weeks!!!!

ChippyMinton Sat 20-Sep-08 09:45:43

You need to be aware of the new planning regs for paving front gardens, which come into effect 1st October.

Paving your Front Garden

Planning permission
From 1 October 2008 new rules apply for householders wanting to pave over their front gardens.

You will NOT need planning permission if a new driveway uses permeable (or porous) surfacing which allows water to drain through, such as gravel, permeable concrete block paving or porous asphalt, or if the rainwater is directed to a lawn or border to drain naturally.

If the surface to be covered is more than five square metres planning permission will be needed for laying traditional, impermeable driveways that do not control rainwater running off onto roads.

more info here

CantSleepWontSleep Sat 20-Sep-08 09:51:32

We currently have a mix of concrete with large shingle on top, and block paving. Weeds an absolute nightmare, and the stones get brought into the house by dd (and on people's shoes).

We are about to resurface in imprinted concrete, which will be pretty much maintenance free, and comes in a wide range of designs and colours.

Tarmac would look awful in our location (very countrysidey).

bellavita Sat 20-Sep-08 09:54:57

Brick block paving. The only downside is the moss that keeps popping up, but I just go out every couple of months and scrape it up.

The actual middle of the drive is tarmac (which the builders put down), we then had the drive widened so we could get both cars on side by side so the paving is at each side of the tarmac.

Cost was around £2000, this was around 5 years ago now.

deanychip Sat 20-Sep-08 10:15:20

Thanks every one, and thanks chippy for that info, a couple of the builders have mentioned this to me but very vague in their answers to my many questions!I am worried about drainage tbh.

So, imprinted concrete is out because of the reasons mentioned but also the cost, it is so expensive.

I like the sound of the tarmac with brick edging.

Once again, thanks all.

clam Sun 21-Sep-08 17:31:41

My cousin has shingle/gravelly stuff. Used as a loo for every cat in the neighbourhood!

rubyloopy Mon 06-Oct-08 12:26:56

Message withdrawn

sparkybabe Mon 06-Oct-08 12:32:18

Love brick paving! I even love the weeds, but we couldn't afford it when we moved here. We have gravel now, which Is great, noisy (deterant for burglars) and drains well. And we get weeds coming through too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now