Talk

Advanced search

Those one and a half sinks - do I need one with a dishwasher?

(14 Posts)
Jodee Thu 18-Sep-08 22:25:48

A bit of a stupid question really, but I have only ever had a single bowl sink, no dishwasher. I am getting a new kitchen ASAP (no kitchen at the moment, we have knocked through to the dining room) and i don't actually know the purpose of the half-sink - are they waste disposal units? so do i really need one with a dishwasher as well?

(just remembered, I need an opinion on a kitchen as well please, will go and find a link ...)

Jodee Thu 18-Sep-08 22:31:28

this kitchen??

A MN friend says one of her friends has this and it looks fab, I had only been looking at white/cream shaker, or slab maple/beech type ones, but am starting to like it - please be honest, what do you think?

notcitrus Fri 19-Sep-08 05:52:34

1/2 sink useful for draining veg, soaking small clothes, filling kettle when sink full, washing veg at same time as soaking pans etc.
however if you have dishwasher, you may prefer more counter surface, depends on yr layout.

Jodee Fri 19-Sep-08 10:01:25

Thank you, that's clearer in my mind, will have to work out counter surface space then.

Need URGENT opinions on the kitchen, got to sort something out tomorrow! (will maybe post on another thread)

SaintRobertNewton Fri 19-Sep-08 10:04:06

I have a dishwasher and still use my 1/2 sink a lot.

Depending on design 1 + 1/2 sink doesn't take up any more worktop space than a single.

hoxtonchick Fri 19-Sep-08 10:06:22

i like that kitchen. we have a dishwasher & a half sink & it's really useful.

JulesJules Fri 19-Sep-08 10:07:27

Yes I love my half sink, it has a colander insert thing, brilliant for draining veggies and all the other things notcitrus says. It doesn't take up much more space than a normal sink and drainer. Mine has 1 1/2 sinks and draing board on just one side. You definitely don't need a double drainer if you also have a dishwasher imo.

I love the sage kitchen btw! Lucky you!

NorbertDentressangle Fri 19-Sep-08 10:07:47

We have a dishwasher but still use the half-sink a lot -its especially good for washing a few veg or other tasks where you don't want to fill a whole sink. or for when the main sink is full of stuff soaking/being washed.

JulesJules Fri 19-Sep-08 10:08:14

draining board obv...

fortyplus Fri 19-Sep-08 10:09:25

If you get a 1.5 bowl sink you'll wonder how you ever managed without one

hanaflower Fri 19-Sep-08 10:10:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fortyplus Fri 19-Sep-08 10:10:56

Oh... and the sage kitchen will look great if you have a reasonably modern house

Springflower Fri 19-Sep-08 10:14:54

Kitchen looks great and love my 1.5 sink.

Jodee Fri 19-Sep-08 10:49:37

Am pleased you like the kitchen! Showed a pic to DH, thinking he would recoil in horror, but he likes it too - my house is 30s semi but modernish inside (well, I'm getting there - artex ceilings, anyone?).

Will definitely squeeze in 1.5 sink, then.

(getting ever so slightly excited about having my first ever new kitchen!) grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now