Talk

Advanced search

decorating crisis - help

(7 Posts)
foxy1 Thu 18-Sep-08 13:35:24

hello

we hired a handy man to do some painting for us and he agreed to do it at a great price. We asked him to fit front door, paint lounge, dining room and then bedroom.

We bought the door off ebay and they measured the door incorrectly so it is 2 inches short. We did not check this assumed it was that size. Handyman fitted it and it was too short and instead of telling us he fitted a rough scrap piece of wood on the threshold (not hardwood) and it looks terrible.

I asked him to paint lounge and dining room first and he started the lounge - did part job (but not very good paint as there were runs on wood and then decided to go upstairs and do the bedroom (leaving dining room. he then went on holiday for a week and left all the rollers (mine in paint in the trays!) lid off paint pots. i was not very impressed.

my family have said that they would not let him do anymore work. what would you do?

Any advice?? Thanks foxy

RubySlippers Thu 18-Sep-08 13:36:56

sounds v v shoddy

ask him to put right was he has done so far and then finito

how much have you paid so far?

foxy1 Thu 18-Sep-08 13:42:22

hi have not paid him anything yet. my sister said pay him half for the rooms and pay him for the front door and finish it yourself? what do you think. this is a second house which we want to rent so don't have lots of money but wanted to get it rented out asap.

Furball Thu 18-Sep-08 13:59:33

paint runs on the wood is his painting not your paint.

foxy1 Thu 18-Sep-08 14:08:48

thanks yes his painting is a bit sloppy.

soremummy Fri 19-Sep-08 13:54:04

I would pay him for what he has done and then get someone else to finish the job for you. Could offer my husbands services if you want he is an electrician but handy at decorating etc and hasnt got much work atm.

foxy1 Fri 19-Sep-08 14:52:04

thanks sore mummy. my email address is the.foxs@tiscali.co.uk. does he do tiling as well? can you email me details. thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now