Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Plumbing question - taps/water flow...advice/ideas please

(7 Posts)
solo Wed 17-Sep-08 17:10:41

My hot tap in my bathroom basin has lost it's flow ie it is down to around a 3rd of the usual flow rate(as though the water pressure is down). I've tried taking off the top of the tap(Victoriana style)and have put descaler into that area just in case it was that, but I couldn't get the 'skirt'(like the bell bit)off. Does anyone have any idea if this sounds like limescale build up or something else? I thought that a worn washer would cause drips rather than lack of water flow, but I'm no plumber.

The other question is about Isolation Valves. If I turn the screw in these to the right, should that cut the water flow off at the valve point? I thought that I might do that whilst messing around with the tap - just in case! hmm
I tried this(slightly)yesterday, but it started to drip and I turned it back quickly as I just couldn't cope with another disaster in the house!

TheBlonde Wed 17-Sep-08 17:49:11

Have you checked the water pressure?

solo Wed 17-Sep-08 18:18:50

Hi, the other taps seem to be fine, so I think the pressure is ok. Thank you though.

solo Wed 17-Sep-08 21:37:25

Any other ideas? anyone? please?

Fizzylemonade Mon 22-Sep-08 12:58:53

Have a look on youtube under "plumbing taps" which is what I just put in, you would be amazed at how much info there is on there.

Re isolation valves, yes they cut the water off as the valve closes. Look to see which direction the slot of the screw is facing ie horizontal at 9 and 3 like on a clock then you will need to turn it vertical 12 and 6 or vice versa.

Run the tap so that the remaining water from the valve to the tap is run off. If it is still leaking you will need to turn the valve a little bit further.

Good luck.

verylapsedrunner Mon 22-Sep-08 18:25:28

We have the same problem with our hot tap...no solution to offer (except try new taps, haven't tried that one yet)

Try here for answers.

www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24837

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now