Talk

Advanced search

Right - talk to me about condensing boilers!!! Reliable but good value (not vastly expensive!!)

(18 Posts)
cluckyagain Wed 17-Sep-08 16:48:51

Hi - does anybody happen to know anything about condensing boilers? I have a flat which currently has a 'notoriously unreliable' one in it and the boiler man has suggested replacing it with a 'Worcester Bosch Greenstar Condensing boiler' - fitted and supplied for the grand sum of over £1800. I had expected this sort of cost but wondered if I'm missing a trick - is it a good one, is it a good price (don't know the exact spec but am getting it sent to me)is it cheaper to buy it separately then arrange for fitting (or is that virtually impossible?!) Help - complete DIY/boiler idiot!

cmotdibbler Wed 17-Sep-08 16:52:30

Ooh Which did condensing boilers the other month - I'll go and check

cluckyagain Wed 17-Sep-08 16:54:18

OOO ooooo oooo - thanks so much. I could see the tumbleweed moving across the screen before you answered (you lovely thing!)

justbeme Wed 17-Sep-08 16:56:40

We've just had one fitted!!
I'll speak to DP and find out how much it was as I've forgotten.
Apparently it has won lots of awards!

cluckyagain Wed 17-Sep-08 16:58:30

Oh - I am seriously in heaven - I love you lot!

pooka Wed 17-Sep-08 16:59:43

Not sure about the price. If you want, I could ask DH when he gets home (he has a central heating firm).

We have a Keston boiler. Keston was one of the first companies to go with condensing boilers. THink they can be pricey though - but they can have a plastic flexible flue, which suits our needs. (and it was free because is a prototype).

cluckyagain Wed 17-Sep-08 17:01:34

Pooka - could you ask DH - that would be fab. Thanks in advance. Cluckyxx

pooka Wed 17-Sep-08 17:03:06

The kestons have historically won awards too. Vaillant is another company I have heard of. As well as worcestor bosch.

TBH I'd go with the one that the boiler man (corgi registered) is happy fitting and that has good guarantees.

pigleto Wed 17-Sep-08 17:05:50

definately go for one that the man has fitted before. it will take him half the time and you know he will do it right. We got a swanky new innovative boiler but the plumber had a devil of a time installing it and cocked it up (luckily it was covered under his insurance)

pooka Wed 17-Sep-08 17:08:28

DH would quote c£2100 inc VAT.

Would include a powerflush and chemicals
Depends on the size/whether is combi boiler.

But he reckons the quote is reasonable, so long as the guy is corgi registered and is including the powerflush.

pooka Wed 17-Sep-08 17:09:24

THat is rough figure (based on previous quotes, excluding extra bits like valves and rads).

cluckyagain Wed 17-Sep-08 17:27:21

Thanks pooka - hadn't asked about valves and rads (que?!) but apparently it's an 'all in' quote.

justbeme Wed 17-Sep-08 17:28:21

DP home - We paid £2,400, but that included moving the boiler from the kitchen up into the airing cupboard upstairs.

pooka Wed 17-Sep-08 19:03:32

I mean I got him to search the database for previous quotes for a WB greenstar, and the ones he found for the middle of the range size one had additional work (like a new radiator or tweaks to the existing system). So he then did a rough calculation less those things, but is not an exact science because would have to factor in reduced labour costs for a shorter job.

If the guy is comfortable fitting the boiler, that makes a big difference IMO. And the quote seems reasonable, if all in inclusive of VAT.

pooka Wed 17-Sep-08 19:05:10

BTW, he reckons that price of the boiler for the customer (not the trade price) would be slightly less than half the total cost of the job, with much of the money being for labour.

lalalonglegs Wed 17-Sep-08 22:21:11

Same thibg has just happened to us - the Biasi boiler (not my choice) in our BTL flat has broken down for second time in 18 months. Having already spent £400 havibg it fixed we decided not to throw good miney after bad and bought a Worc Greenstar which we have in our own hme and which has been really reliable

lalalonglegs Wed 17-Sep-08 22:24:26

BTW, when we had small query with our own Worc boiler, the manufacturers sent out an engineer next day to check everything was fine (which it was).

I think it's a reasonable price (depending on model - our 27cdi cost just over £900).

cluckyagain Thu 18-Sep-08 07:10:39

Right - you've persuaded me - will go with this one. Thanks allxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now