Talk

Advanced search

how to recruit a builder

(3 Posts)
geogteach Tue 16-Sep-08 17:24:57

So i've asked people for numbers of people they recomend but i'm now frozen in a state of inaction about what to do next. How many people should I phone, what am I asking for -a quote, an estimate? when do I phone, daytime won't they be building grin? How much do I need to say, I want a kitchen extention and to convert the garage but really need advice about the detail. Why do I feel totally incapable about making a phone call?

KatieDD Tue 16-Sep-08 17:26:19

Give them a ring and get them around to look at what you want doing, they shouldn't quote over the phone and you want it in writing.

psychomum5 Tue 16-Sep-08 17:50:36

My DH is a builder.

he is ok with calls anytime inbetween 8am and 8pm.

he never ever gives quotes over the phone, that is unethical as you cannot see what needs doing unless you see it (in his opinion).

he will always come and see the job, go thro exactly what you want, take measurements and then sit down to work things out.

if you need a big extension it is normally better to get an architect in first as they can draw plans up......it gives the proposes builder a proper 'see' of the project, and so it is much better to be able to give a realistic price.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now