Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Moving to new house, I have a virginal lounge waiting to be decorated, any suggestions to colours/curtains/wallpaper etc.

(22 Posts)
MmeLindt Tue 16-Sep-08 16:31:04

We are moving next week. The house is a bit old fashioned looking at the moment and we want to make it more modern. Pics on profile.

We have this couch in beige, but I am swithering about changing the covers. I saw the black one in Ikea last week and it is not bad, more of a charchol grey than a true black.

We have a dark reg shaggy rug, but would perhaps replace that as it is fairly grotty.

The curtains have to go obviously

We also have a huge oak table, but modern style, the chairs will need to be replaced.

We wont have time to redecorate completely, and the house has just been repainted white. I thought about making a feature out of the chimney breast.

DH would like to go for grey colours, I don't think that will go with the couch. I would love teal or duck egg blue.

Any ideas?

Gipfeli Tue 16-Sep-08 16:44:38

'Tis illegal to have non-white walls in CH, didn't you know? wink

Anyway I like teal at the moment. We're thinking about that for our living room because we already have some blinds there in that colour. (I liked your link to the Dulux site re teal on another thread.) We have an oak unit next to our blinds and that goes well and our floor is a similar colour to yours.

I wonder if teal might be a bit dark for you with the beams on the ceiling though and perhaps duck egg might be better?

We're also thinking of wallpaper for one wall, but as yet don't have any specific recommendations

NotDoingTheHousework Tue 16-Sep-08 16:46:24

Message withdrawn

MmeLindt Tue 16-Sep-08 16:51:30

They have to have white walls to offset the tiles in the kitchen. I must put a pic of the kitchen tiles on <<warning! Shocking image>>

Lol at vaginal lounge. You must have been on too many childbirth threads

MmeLindt Tue 16-Sep-08 17:24:46

Have I scared you all off with the photo of the kitchen?

NotDoingTheHousework Tue 16-Sep-08 17:43:54

Message withdrawn

MmeLindt Tue 16-Sep-08 18:15:59

NDTH

I love your name, btw, it could be mine

I don't like purple but I am leaning toward blue.

It would have to be a huuuuge cork board. How can anyone have thought, "I know, I will tile the kitchen with these lovely green tiles, it will make it really easy to keep clean" ?

NotDoingTheHousework Tue 16-Sep-08 18:26:47

Message withdrawn

MmeLindt Tue 16-Sep-08 19:21:23

I don't think so as it is a rented property. I am meeting the landlord next week so I will ask him, but I seriously doubt it.

Have you done that before? I have only ever seen that at my Aunt's house and tbh it was not that much of an improvement. Maybe that was just my Aunt's DIY skills though.

NotDoingTheHousework Tue 16-Sep-08 19:42:32

Message withdrawn

MmeLindt Tue 16-Sep-08 20:16:32

That is what I am thinking of, a big unit or something.

MmeLindt Tue 16-Sep-08 20:17:44

yes, that is the impression I got with the tile painting. We don't see that here so much. I think our landlords would chuck us out if we were to paint the tiles.

MmeLindt Tue 16-Sep-08 20:45:59

bump, just in case Lawrence whats-his-name is lurking on MN tonight

MmeLindt Tue 16-Sep-08 21:53:22

desperate bump

CostaRicanCod Tue 16-Sep-08 22:03:06

white

Pannacotta Tue 16-Sep-08 22:03:31

I would leave the sofa as it is and cheer it up with some funky modern cushions. Do you like Marimekko prints perhaps?
Not sure that duck egg is very modern looking and teal poss a bit dark colourwise. How about a grassy green colour instead?

You could have some big dramatic plants (with uplighters behind them to cast lovely shadows) and large mirrors and prints to add light and life?

CostaRicanCod Tue 16-Sep-08 22:03:44

leave it white
get roman blinds to make windows look les stwee.

CostaRicanCod Tue 16-Sep-08 22:05:49

egt rid of beams unless they are real.
coloru in cushions
i like the white

Pannacotta Tue 16-Sep-08 22:06:58

Also would have roman blinds not curtains in the living room and would either paint the kitchen tiles or just add large furniture to cover them.
A decent rug in the living room woudl make it feel cosier too, woudl replace the dark red shaggy one...

Pannacotta Tue 16-Sep-08 22:09:36

Sure you cant remove beams in rented accommodation, but you could paint them white to make them less obvious, have to agree they are a bit grim.

MmeLindt Tue 16-Sep-08 22:20:46

The beams are real, as far I can remember. I don't know about painting them white, will ask the landlord. They are not actually as bad as they look on the picture. (I think)

I love the prints, will have a good browse through the website.

The first thing I am going to do is take down the curtains, htey are bogging.

Ikea do some nice faux suede roman blinds

MmeLindt Tue 16-Sep-08 22:38:29

I am not sure of grassy green, with the kitchen being so green. I thought of teal just as an accent colour, perhaps for cushions and the chimney breast?

I don't actually need curtains as the garden is big so noone can see in hte windows (which have shutters anyway). It would just be decoration.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now