Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DIY forums and loft insulation...

(6 Posts)
PeaMcLean Sun 14-Sep-08 17:11:26

Anyone know a good DIY forum? I've a specific question about loft insulation and think I need to get some advice.

lljkk Sun 14-Sep-08 19:25:01

What's your Q?

Chequers Sun 14-Sep-08 19:26:44

DH says http://www.diynot.com/forums/ is good, lot of tradespeople on there apparently.

PeaMcLean Sun 14-Sep-08 22:13:39

Thanks, will try there.

LLJKK, my question is: we have recessed halogen lights. I understand that they cannot be simply covered with insulation as it's a fire risk. Apparently you can buy expensive covers for them, but apparently, it's also possible to cover each light with a terracotta pot! I also understand that you shouldn't cover electrical wires with insulation.

So, when placing said terracotta pot over recessed light, where does the wire go? does it get wedged under the rim of the pot, then just pulled above the insulation at the first opportunity?

Whadyathink?

lljkk Mon 15-Sep-08 11:36:21

Ooh!! I can answer (and yes, that is a good forum to confirm). I couldn't remember name of it, but I'm sure that's it because name is contradiction to quality of advice on it.

Get some cheap terracotta pots from local garden centre (cost about 30p each), make sure they're big enough to have at least 2cm space around top of bulb, put insulation over the pot over the bulbs.

I'm less confident about Insulation over wires -- but I'm 99% sure not a problem, iirc, unless wires are ancient and not well-insulated themelves. More of an issue in finding the wires if you want them, tbh. Our 25cm of rockwool is mostly over the wires. Yes, wedge under pot and then pull over the rockwool where you can -- mostly so you can find them if nothing else.

Eventually LED halogens should be available, and these won't generate so much heat as ordinary (?dichoric?) halogens.

PeaMcLean Mon 15-Sep-08 18:28:28

Thanks lljkk, I knew MN had an answer for most things but I thought that might be a detail too far grin

I'm impressed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now