Talk

Advanced search

Anyone fancy a whinge about house sales/purchases going pear shaped at the last minute?

(6 Posts)
PerkinWarbeck Fri 12-Sep-08 12:55:50

or is it just me that's tearing my hair out?

bellabelly Fri 12-Sep-08 12:59:16

We are too! Been on market since Jan. Have dropped price, switched agents, blah blah blah. Think we have pretty much decided to stay put for now and take it off market. No offers and v few viewings. It's a bit depressing really!

Fimbo Fri 12-Sep-08 13:00:07

Sympathies Perkin, do you want to tell us?

My dream house - never have to move again type thing, fell through last year because of the neighbours. There were restrictive convenants in place, that allowed them to dictate what happened with regards to extentsions etc for the house we wanted to buy. We only wanted to put on a garden room at the back (houses were detached and they would never have seen anything) but they wouldn't allow us to do so. I was gutted, I now live in a new build and whilst I like it and probably has more room than the other house, it is not a forver house iykwim.

PerkinWarbeck Fri 12-Sep-08 13:31:32

Looks like we're going to miss our exchange date on Monday (delays on the other side). Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem, but we need to relocate by the end of the month in order to accept a job offer sad. Job very rigid and won't extend the deadline sad sad.

PerkinWarbeck Fri 12-Sep-08 13:33:46

sympathies all bellabelly and Fimbo! this whole business is soooo stressful.

Fimbo, it does sound like you had a lucky escape though - can you imagine what a nightmare it would be like to live next to such awkward folk?

Fimbo Fri 12-Sep-08 16:06:14

Yes inhindsight it was a blessing in disguise, especially as I have found out more about the neighbours since then, there were also issues over a shared driveway which the vendor denied when we asked her about it. The house had to be taken back off the market when she lost another 2 buyers and she had to try to get the restrictive convenants lifted - we were asked to provide a statement which we did. But due to the credit crunch she can't sell it now and it is on for £25k under what we offered her!

If everything doesn't happen in time, could you rent a holiday cottage or flat for a couple of weeks? Good luck, keep the thread updated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now