Talk

Advanced search

big l shaped ha;l but not very light in terrace house...i am going to paint it but dont know what colour if any

(19 Posts)
zippitippitoes Thu 11-Sep-08 14:15:25

.............cold house

quyite a big area including the stairs and upstairs landing

and i am going to put carpet on the stairs which have been just left for the last 8 years shock

Cappuccino Thu 11-Sep-08 14:16:25

oh just paint it white zippi

you know you want to

Bewilderbeast Thu 11-Sep-08 14:23:43

I painted mine light green, there is no natural light, it has a very hig ceiling, it looks fab

Lauriefairycake Thu 11-Sep-08 14:26:11

In my livingetc magazine a few months ago someone had painted their dark Edwardian hallway in farrow and ball's 'slipper' (a very pale pink). It looked amazing and not at all what i'd imagined - it managed to lighten and warm the area at the same time.

zippitippitoes Thu 11-Sep-08 15:06:06

i painted the spare house all white

i think it might look a bit spartan it would be the quickest

no need to worry about where the ceiling meets the walls

i did think about light green or plae duck egg or pale pink

ime those farrow and ball colours dont work in this house i did the shutters in the front room green from there and they looked grim

like we hadnt decorated now they are white or psosibloy gardenia

Marina Thu 11-Sep-08 15:07:37

A pale straw/goldy yellow?
We have this and it looks very nice.

MamaG Thu 11-Sep-08 15:10:10

I have a rich cream (possibly pale straw!) in our long dark fairly narrow hallway and its great. Really warms it up

Fllllight Thu 11-Sep-08 15:14:28

No you need a warm colour if it is a cold house.

We just did the bedroom (which is enormous) in a nice sort of creamy white. I thought it would still look cold (it was very very dirty, grubby white before - almost grey! - looked disgusting and depressing)

actually even that tiny bit of cream worked wonders - it looks lovely now.

Go with either pale pink (but a warm pink, ie with a more peachy tone than bubblegum iyswim) or pale cream.

Blues and greens usually add to the coldness.

Or go with my old fave, butermilk/ magnolia/ oaty biscuity beige! That is always warming and goes with everything.

Fllllight Thu 11-Sep-08 15:14:48

Marina and MamaG are right smile

zippitippitoes Thu 11-Sep-08 15:17:11

oh all the rooms are some variation on the cream magnolia look

i am trying to motivate myself to paint it which involves it looking different after

or ordering a carpet and then that will mean a deadline

i cant decide whether to carpet the hall which has parquet quarry tiles not particularly nice and very cold

MrsTittleMouse Thu 11-Sep-08 15:20:11

What about a sunny custardy yellow? That's what I'm going to paint our hall, when we finally get one.

Swedes Thu 11-Sep-08 15:26:50

This is a magnolia-type colour but it's lovely and doesn't have that pinky-peach tinge that looks so cheap and yukky.

Farrow & Ball Tallow for the walls.
Farrow & Ball Pointing for the woodwork.

or if you like Green this is a lovely warm and tasteful green

Zoffany Fennel for the walls
FArrow & Ball Pointing for the woodwork.

Swedes Thu 11-Sep-08 15:31:21

In our hall we have Laura Ashley "Honey" on the walls which is a rich, warm, sandy gold that is not too yellow/zingy/citrusy.

Crown's Egyptian Sand is similar.

Fllllight Thu 11-Sep-08 16:34:13

In our last place, the hall was two different shades of a beautiful purpley mauve/deep pinky colour. I mixed it myself and it looked very cosy and inviting.

Might be a bit much in a large space though - maybe go with some walls darker and some paler.

Keep the tiles though - KEEP THYE TILES!!!

I would pay a fortune for quarry tiles - in fact I just did, but we got slate instead.

You need maybe to clean them up, seal them, wax or something too - polish them up. They will be stunning!

Sooo easy to keep clean, and you can always have a washable rug on top.

NorbertDentressangle Thu 11-Sep-08 16:42:05

If you want to go one step further than decorating (and if the layout means it would work) a Velux window over the stairwell works wonders for getting some more light in.

We did this in a terraced house we lived in -it added an amazing amount of light to the downstairs hall as well as the upstairs landing

Anna8888 Thu 11-Sep-08 16:43:41

I think white or a very pale warm colour with lots of beautiful mirrors to reflect the light would be my ideal decorating scenario in a dark hall.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsSnorty Thu 11-Sep-08 16:57:59

White can look grey if there's not much light.
North facing rooms need a warm colours - yellow, red etc, south facing can take cool - blues and greens.
I did not watch all those episodes of changing rooms for nothing..

zippitippitoes Thu 11-Sep-08 18:42:44

oh these arent nice quarry tiles

i might try this colour it looks a lot less pink on the paint sample card i picked up

it has a big window half way up the stairs but that looks onto a blank wall on a side alley

also has a roof light on the landing and glass doors downstairs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now