Talk

Advanced search

gold kitchen it is...now i need paint ! any ideas ??

(14 Posts)
mamazee Thu 11-Sep-08 12:03:32

hiya
where can i get oil based metallic gold paint ?
will the one for metal work ?
have found emulsion but no oil based.

many thanks
zillah

noddyholder Thu 11-Sep-08 12:14:12

craig and rose precious metals range do 3 golds.I have used the old gold and it is lovely but only on a mirror frame so smaller than a whole kitchen.

noddyholder Thu 11-Sep-08 12:15:55

BTW to get teh best from them you really need to prime really well then they do last.Also you can get spray matt clear varnish which you could spray them with afterwards to stop them getting damaged although I never did and it was still a good long lasting finish HTH

mamazee Thu 11-Sep-08 12:58:27

great..just called them and they are sending testers...totally did not come up when i googled .
thanks for letting me know bout primer.
how well do i need to sand them before i put primer on ?
thanks x

Megglevache Thu 11-Sep-08 13:00:45

wow, what kidn of cabinets. Sounds amazing.

Will you use a spray to paint them- that's what we did. We sprayed them and within a day my ds had grafittied them with permanant pen- I was on here crying grin

Can you post a pic when it's done?

mamazee Thu 11-Sep-08 13:11:04

hi again meg...two posts running at same time.
found oil based paint at craig and rose.
did you have gold cupboards too ??
they are run of the mill basic pine jobbies but not for long !

Megglevache Thu 11-Sep-08 13:16:22

can't have enough threads about bling cupboards if you ask me grin

mamazee Thu 11-Sep-08 13:21:28

grin i am gonna be totally gutted if this falls through now ! and get ready for other peoples reactions when they see it huh !
my mum is really up for it she had a 60 minute makeover done on her house and its turned her

Megglevache Thu 11-Sep-08 13:30:46

wow which one was hers? Don't they really hash it up when they "makeover"

mamazee Thu 11-Sep-08 13:34:31

me and my little bro were on it...about my dad dying and her needing a new start. bout 2 years ago. the decorating isn't perfect quality but the furniture was amazing. the budget was about £20,000 nad they were all quite nice. left a bit of chaos and the hour thing is a bit of a stretch of the truth but no not a hash. no regrets at ball bout doing it apart from having to be on telly ! mum loved it and she would never have done it without that excuse (guilt about dad etc they had lived there for 30 years.
definately worth it.

Megglevache Thu 11-Sep-08 13:37:10

Oh how marvellous. A woman I know had something similar but everything was awful and after they'd camoflaged stuff for the cameras they had to go back about a dozen times to finish it- she was not happy. They do get a great budget and often they choose really nice stuff/furniture for the houses.

How nice for your mum.

mamazee Thu 11-Sep-08 13:40:17

yeah my mum cried her eyes out !
and they were very sweet in that they put up loads of photos of dad around. i would seriously advise against it if you are in the slightest bit of a control freak ! i got paint on a dress too and they fully reimbursed me

Megglevache Thu 11-Sep-08 13:41:18

Ahh bless. Did she has the kilted one as her designer?

mamazee Thu 11-Sep-08 13:41:24

...and i didn't know it then but i was two weeks pregnant with my ds

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now