Talk

Advanced search

A golden kitchen ...mmmm?

(52 Posts)
mamazee Wed 10-Sep-08 22:39:07

Hello

We have just bought a house and are decorating it top to bottom. the kitchen is great (big and light)but has solid pine cupboard doors which i have a bit of a thing about and really don't like...so we were going to stain them darker oak stain but have just discovered that we cannot get them dipped (to do with the varnish) and hand sanding them is sooo much work so a no no.

the floor is riven dark slate tiled and the rest of the house is decorated in different tones of white with wooden floors. i have yet to buy a kitchen table so am pretty free at the moment.
we like funky bits about...mainly 60's design bits but quite a mish mash.but the back drop is plain.
we were planning on painting one wall metallic gold (the one that leads up the stairs from the living room..tested itr and loved it )and i just had a mad thought...hey why not paint the kitchen cupboards metallic gold ...googled it to see any examples and...NOT ONE. there must be some one somewhere...surely.

my other option is another colour (i am thinking greeny yellow or olive) or bloomin white which i am quite bored of but may be sensible.
or do i fork out more money (that we haven't budgeted for) and go to ikea ? quite nice dark wood ones there..

HELP

any ideas (particularly from people sitting in gold kitchens)

by the way the colour isn't bling gold more subtle but definitely metallic gold.

it is fine if it looks eclectic and doesn't 'go' perfectly...i am that kind of girl
ps i wouldn't do the wall AND the kitchen

thanks in advance

mamazee Wed 10-Sep-08 23:38:24

bump
(i am supposed to be decided by tomorrow
thanks

LynetteScavo Wed 10-Sep-08 23:41:45

Go for gold. Are Howdens doing gold this year? hmm

mamazee Wed 10-Sep-08 23:53:40

thanks lyn.
howdens ??

mamazee Wed 10-Sep-08 23:56:57

googled it..got it ;)
surprisingly difficult to find oil based gold paint.
any ideas ?

Lauriefairycake Thu 11-Sep-08 00:03:21

it won't last but it might last til you're bored - how about spray paint - lots of gold and silver in cans - spray thinly, lots of thin coats.

You could replace the doors incredibly easy though - I actually bought a load of doors in B and Q as I had a pine kitchen (for £400)- I ended up taking them back (had an attack of environmentally-friendly conscience) and then painted them with Laura Ashley pale blue egg-shell.

LynetteScavo Thu 11-Sep-08 00:06:10

I'd gop for an olive or eggshell.

I think you can only buy small tubes of gold paint, or spray.

mamazee Thu 11-Sep-08 00:07:12

thanks laurie
£400 a bit steep for us as we did not budget for it.
don't know what to do with the worktop...its beech wood .
i thought about light blue.
really hard to know what it will be like to live with.
where could i find a pici ?

Lauriefairycake Thu 11-Sep-08 00:14:41

They do large spray cans (can't remember the range) but it's next to the Hammerite section in diy stores - £6.95 a can I think.

I used 2 cans of tile spray/enamel spray for my front door - very hard wearing - it came in gold and silver spray (I went for a light blue/purple)

You might only need a dozen cans for the whole kitchen (if you did choose this, spray outside on a tarp, very smelly)

mamazee Thu 11-Sep-08 00:20:11

thanks
will look into it;)
feels very exciting.
goodnight all x

noddyholder Thu 11-Sep-08 12:02:50

what colour are the worktops?

mamazee Thu 11-Sep-08 12:10:42

worktops are light beech varnished. thought i may sand them and oil them to go a bit darker ??

noddyholder Thu 11-Sep-08 12:48:38

what about grey cabinets and a pewter wall and leave the worktops and floor?

TartanKnickers Thu 11-Sep-08 13:00:39

You could get this little beauty!!

Bling sink

mamazee Thu 11-Sep-08 13:02:26

thanks noddy
the paint is strong white by farrow and ball which is slightly greyish off white so i feel like, with the slate, it will be a bit too grey..i need to warm it up a bit
the slate is quite dark..i think i am sold on gold.
maybe i need to change the worktop ??
can you stain a kitchen worktop or do you reckon it would be too toxic to have food around ?

Megglevache Thu 11-Sep-08 13:03:20

if you find the stuff for the doors will you do the wall aswell, might look a bit goldfinger no?

mamazee Thu 11-Sep-08 13:03:54

ha ha tartan...don't tempt me ! it looks like its covered in foil
who would live in a house like that !!

Megglevache Thu 11-Sep-08 13:04:01

I can't wait for my next house. Can't wait to paint every mad colour I love on the walls not snoozy white and beige like here grin

Megglevache Thu 11-Sep-08 13:04:40

It's probably a footballer's crib!

GrapefruitMoon Thu 11-Sep-08 13:07:10

I inherited similar cupboards when I moved in here and I painted them F&B Parma Grey - more a bluey grey... really loved that colour.

mamazee Thu 11-Sep-08 13:09:17

hi meg
no to walls AND cupboards..bit too bling. that was exactly my thought and then i thought..why wait til next house...seize the day
dp not quite sold on it yet but 70/30 which is good...he didn't like the fairylights and loves them now so he is persuadable !
i do like my white and beiges but i have a 'gold kitchen cupboard kind gal' in me longing to get out...i may buy a vivienne westwood dress just to drink tea in it

MadameCastafiore Thu 11-Sep-08 13:10:33

Fired Earth do some sort of kitchen cupboard paint.

Lots of bits I have seen are a sort of Teal colour and that looks really gereat!

Our house is very old and has a handmade kitchen but DH wouldn't let me do a bold colour so ours are are painted Devon Cream by Farrow and Ball.

Megglevache Thu 11-Sep-08 13:15:27

Oooh that sounds nice. i love F&B paints but no in the next house there will be shocking pink walls a plenty and orange sofas. I want energy in the next one.

Bright colour would not suit this house which is bathed is darkness, it would make it more cave-like.

mamazee Thu 11-Sep-08 13:18:06

cream i thought of if i had the wall gold but it wouldn't go with the rest of the house
am looking into teal right now !

MrsMattie Thu 11-Sep-08 13:20:11

I am such a an unadventurous 'cream/ivory/magnolia' bore and would never go for a gold kitchen myself but...it sounds fab! Go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now