Talk

Advanced search

So how did you find your perfect property - I'm fed up of missing the boat

(12 Posts)
IwouldntSayNoToNickKnowles Mon 08-Sep-08 16:29:26

I live in a village which seems to have been largely unaffected by the property downturn (lucky me...well sort of). Basically good properties seem to go on and off the market without so much as a board going up. It's farking annoying! I've just missed another brilliant property because of this (advertisement in paper Thursday, I rang Friday and it was already under offer shock)
I thought about doing a round robin letter to estate agents saying I'm looking for a property in 'my village' but expect they will just send me any crap within a 5 mile radius and then stop after a month or so.

We basically don't NEED to move so dh will NOT put the house on the market but if something brilliant came up he would be interested. Of course no-one will take us seriously though as our house isn't on the market/under offer <wails> I just don't know what to do!

moodlumthehoodlum Mon 08-Sep-08 16:31:55

I would put a round robin to the houses themselves rather than or as well as the estate agents. That way, people can come to you directly before they even go to the estate agents.

BTW, your name made me lol, as my friend didn't say no to Nick Knowles IYKWIM... wink

Fimbo Mon 08-Sep-08 16:36:09

Try word of mouth too. I live in a village, nearly everyone here knows everyone else's business. (village life!). So someone may know someone who is considering moving and would love not to have EA fees.

IwouldntSayNoToNickKnowles Mon 08-Sep-08 16:38:22

OOOOoooooooh ERrrrrrrrrrrrrm. He'd have to clean his teeth first for me. He looks like a dirty smoker <trembles> wink
I've thought about the letter to houses thing but the two particular houses I really want are both occupied by pensioners who are on their own. I'm worried that a letter could be miscontrued as 'haven't you died yet and when you do, I want your house' shock

IwouldntSayNoToNickKnowles Mon 08-Sep-08 16:39:40

Word of mouth definitely a no, no. Firstly, evil bodenators would swoop in and steal house from under my nose and secondly I HATE everyone knowing my business...goodness knows why I move here grin

IwouldntSayNoToNickKnowles Mon 08-Sep-08 16:40:05

moved

IwouldntSayNoToNickKnowles Mon 08-Sep-08 16:40:08

moved

WaynettaSlob Mon 08-Sep-08 16:40:59

Get on first name basis with your estate agents. Phone them at least once a week (I was phoning mine daily) and make sure they know you are interested.

However, bear in mind that as you have pointed out unless your house is on the market people probably won't take you seriously.

I'd still nag them on the phone though.....

IwouldntSayNoToNickKnowles Mon 08-Sep-08 16:42:54

It would be just my luck to put house on market, sell it and then have nowhere to go wink It is the wrong time to move I know UNLESS you are going to stay wherever you are moving for a long time which is what we want to do.

moodlumthehoodlum Mon 08-Sep-08 16:43:15

I heard that, allegedly he was more concerned with looking at himself in the mirror than, <ahem> anything else.

IwouldntSayNoToNickKnowles Mon 08-Sep-08 16:46:45

LOL! He does seem very fond of himself smile

IwouldntSayNoToNickKnowles Mon 08-Sep-08 17:01:42

Bump. Any other tactics that worked out there? <searches for magic solution to problem as well as way to lose weight and eat chocolate every day...>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now