Talk

Advanced search

Vast difference in builders' quotes

(6 Posts)
largeoneplease Sun 07-Sep-08 20:26:15

I have been trying to find a builder for some time. Previously had no success, as they would come, have a look at the job, go off to prepare their quote and we'd never hear from them again.

I gave up for a while, but called another couple of firms last week. Both turned up when they said they would, looking presentable, treated me with respect, had sensible suggestions about what was required and came back to me with their price within a few days. Both had been recommended by friends/neighbours and both knew that. One quote is £2600, the other £7900. Why? I'm a bit scared to take the cheaper one now, (get what you pay for and all that) although, as it's apparently only a week's work for 2 men, that doesn't seem that cheap.
How does the dearer firm have the front? They seemed offended that we had the cheek to get another price shock

cupsoftea Sun 07-Sep-08 20:27:32

What's the job? Get a full price breakdown - see what it includes. Check it includes tax as well.

largeoneplease Sun 07-Sep-08 20:31:11

The job is to remove a few 1970's decorative features, put up a stud wall with door and re-plaster 2 large rooms, inc ceilings, coving and skirting boards. Quotes include all materials apart from the door. No decorating.

Both are plus VAT. I have an itemised quote from the cheaper one, but not the other, but as everything is there for the first one, can't see where the 2nd can add another £5k+

cmotdibbler Sun 07-Sep-08 20:34:48

Try some more builders - in the current economic climate I think they'd be very enthusiastic about the prospect of work

maidamess Sun 07-Sep-08 20:36:57

I would go with the cheaper. Some builders just take the p**s. We were quoted 3 times for an extension, with a disparity of £25k between the highest and the lowest. We took the lowest, a smaller firm, and it was great.

lalalonglegs Sun 07-Sep-08 21:35:32

I'd be tempted to take the cheaper one if he comes recommended and has prepared written quote. The job sounds pretty straightforward so not much wriggle room for extras.

We were quoted £12k for job that plumber we chose did for just over £6k. Another builder quoted £39k for £18k contract etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now