Talk

Advanced search

How much would you/have you spent on a new kitchen......?

(45 Posts)
bettyanne Sun 31-Aug-08 20:48:40

Just really interested in what people think is a 'reasonable price'. I know it will vary greatly but am currently having quotes and discussions (!) with DP about how much we will need to spend. the kchcen we have at present is at the end of its useful life, it is so old we cannot get new appliances even as they won't fit into the unusually small housings!!

WE have had quotes (to totally gut and re-fit, including appliances) from £6700 from B and Q to £14500 from Moben (picked out better appliances mind you for Moben).

Dp is stunned even by £6700. I think this is really reasonable- any opinions/ experiences much appreciated!

slapheadsrock Sun 31-Aug-08 21:04:13

We have had a quote recently for our kitchen, and this is without the units!

Ours is 11ft square, and needs floor re-levelling, electrics, new ceiling, walls re-plastering and all plumbing to fit in new design. Units will cost @£2000 from Ikea, and we need floor tiles and wall tiles, but just to prepare room, they wanted £6000!!! shock

Methinks we will have to do more ourselves than we thought. hmm

harpomarx Sun 31-Aug-08 21:07:10

I have small kitchen but got quote for about £3000 including moving plumbing around, removing and replacing tiles, all units. This from independent kitchen fitter obtaining units at trade price.

WobblyPig Sun 31-Aug-08 21:10:19

Depends on size obviously. I would think somewhere between 10-15,000 . But really depends on tiles/flooring and work surfaces. Granite is about 300 per linear metre so that could add quite a bit. Also the appliances are a bit of unknown . The moben one sounds right for the epxensive end but not hand-made kitchens. Some hand-made kitchens can be 30-60,000

Piffle Sun 31-Aug-08 21:10:49

NO TO MOBEN
A quick google or thread title why avoid moben will explain why.
We have Large kitchen 18sqm
Our quote from john lewis for their first range incl great appliances AND installation was £13k
We are having our own fitted and sourcing worktops online so cost is now £12k
we had b&q do ours in old house not bad quality but get local joiner to install as B&q charge like wounded bulls

Piffle Sun 31-Aug-08 21:12:14

oh and get howdens out
Local trade only supplier but really nice good price kitchens
Many joiners recommend them

fryalot Sun 31-Aug-08 21:12:30

I believe 6 - 8 grand is about the norm for a kitchen.

Check out MFI they are supposed to be ok

brimfull Sun 31-Aug-08 21:15:56

we paid £11,000 shock

not including cooker and fridge

mascarpone Sun 31-Aug-08 21:19:37

We had a new Homebase kitchen earlier this year but bought the appliances ourselves. It came to just over £7K (which included all the installation, tiling, wooden worktops etc). I did however wait for the sale and then the 10% day to order it because then we managed to really cut the cost of the units. They didn't seem to mind that I asked when the sale would be and how much I would save by waiting.

slapheadsrock Sun 31-Aug-08 21:21:10

We've just been away in a caravan..... it had more cupboards than I do, AND their cooker worked..... maybe it would be easier to move into a caravan than plow through the minefield of getting a new kitchen. Mine is turning out to be a pain in the neck. Wish we had never bought this house!

mascarpone Sun 31-Aug-08 21:25:58

doesn't sound great...what's going on? [nosey face]

slapheadsrock Sun 31-Aug-08 21:28:22

BTW we had kitchens direct round a while ago.
After nearly THREE HOURS I said I needed the loo and called our largest friend to come round and help us evict them from our house!!!!blush

'You obviously need a kitchen so have mine, sign here. No? What is wrong with my design? You ask me to come, you need kitchen, sign here!'

You have been warned!! It was awful!

slapheadsrock Sun 31-Aug-08 21:31:57

It was a repossession, and everything that could go wrong has, each time we start a new project. sad

We gaily began ripping out kitchen units, until my Dad said 'Everyone stop!' Turned out the back door had been moved when previous owners had added extension. And new back door (and corner of house) had the lintel held up with a bit of 4x2" wood!!!

All money for kitchen then spent of bricking up said corner and adding patio doors to dining room so we could get into garden.

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 31-Aug-08 21:36:08

We spent c£30k, but that included a very expensive stone floor from Fired Earth, that extended throughout adjoining breakfast room and utility. We also had solid wood work surfaces.

bettyanne Sun 31-Aug-08 21:43:03

Glad I'm not the only one to think its all a bit of a minefield! Slapheads sorry to hear you are having a nightmare sad.

We had howdens out as well but the chap who quoted for the work was hopelessly vague about what he 'could' and 'couldn't do ie might do plumbing, it depended, might do tiling etc etc so we gave up on that but the kitchens them selves looked nice and other peoples have said they were happy.

Agree B and q do charge a premium to install, we waited til there was a sale (50% off fitting 15% off actual kitchen) would have been considerably more to do it normal prices.

Oh sigh, I know I am lucky to be getting a kithen but deciding what you're having and by who is a bit stressful!!!

bettyanne Sun 31-Aug-08 21:44:45

Oh and I would ^never ever^ persuade dp to spend £30K or £60K even if we had the money lol can only dream what sort of kitchen that would buy!!

Lilyloo Sun 31-Aug-08 21:48:21

In our previous house we had B&Q and it was relatively cheap as we fitted it oureselves. They still came and did all measuring/ordering etc!

mascarpone Sun 31-Aug-08 21:50:00

Slapheadsrock - nightmare! We are the masters of 'just' doing DIY ie 'this weekend, let's just put a new lino floor tiles in the kitchen (ie remove old floor tiles, discover washing machine has been quietly leaking under floor and into wall...eventually end up having to relay part of kitchen floor with self levelling concrete, having to sand said self levelling concrete when it went all lumpy....)'

Good luck with it all....

intolerant Sun 31-Aug-08 22:12:33

We had an MFI one fitted (by A Little Local Man) like-for-like i.e. no shifting of gas/water/electrics etc.. and whole lot came to about 3K. That was a typical galley type kitchen in a Victorian house. Then, more recently, we spent about 7K on a bigger one in our new house, which involved gutting and repositioning, but being sensible with choosing fittings. I know someone who spent £65K on hers envy, NOT COUNTING LABOUR!!!!

EachPeachPearMum Sun 31-Aug-08 22:30:20

If money was no object, then I would be happy paying a small fortune for Boffi or Poggenpohl- if you spend a lot of time there, its worth having it just how you want it.

Waswondering Sun 31-Aug-08 22:33:53

We had John Lewis kitchen installed last year.

Worked out only a few hundred pounds more than B&Q quote - but was a total redesign and full choice of all JL appliances. Delighted with resutls, was well worth it!

maidamess Sun 31-Aug-08 22:34:11

Our new kitchen from MFI was just over £6k including double oven, hob, extractor, dishwasher,huge pantry cupboard and solid oak worktops. And it loooks like £25k's worth if I say so myself

QuintessentialShadow Sun 31-Aug-08 22:37:53

Why dont you go to the Ikea website, download the kitchenplanner, make a kitchen and see how ikea prices it? You might even find you want an Ikea kitchen? Two of my friends have Ikea kitchen and they look lovely! One paid only around 4 k for hers.

Jackstini Sun 31-Aug-08 22:39:17

We found smaller local companies to be much more flexible on design and better quality for same price as big companies.
Ours was about 12k including all units, appliances, granite worktops, tiling, underfloor heating, lighting etc. (approx 15' x 12' kitchen)
PS - I believe Kitchens Direct & Moben are the same company, same products at different prices - but would avoid from others' experience!

kitsmummy Mon 01-Sep-08 09:42:32

We spent about £5k preparing the room, then about £8.5k on the units and kitchen (but it is a big room). Your £6,700 quote is v reasonable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now