Talk

Advanced search

Is parquet weird in a first floor bedroom?

(12 Posts)
rubles Sat 30-Aug-08 15:09:56

We are getting oak floorboards put down in our bedroom. Victorian terraced house. We really like the idea of parquet in the hall/lounge, but dp has got the idea of having it in the bedroom too. I love parquet, but it has always been a reception room type of flooring in my mind.

What do you think?

lalalonglegs Sat 30-Aug-08 19:39:45

Nope, not weird, extremely stylish (and I speak as someone who has parquet in four bedrooms of Edwardian terrace) wink

MuchLessTiredNow Sat 30-Aug-08 19:46:42

have deon a bit of househunting recently - saw quite a bit of wood flooring on first floor rooms

Anna8888 Sat 30-Aug-08 19:48:09

We have parquet right through our apartment - the only rooms without it are the kitchen/utility room/bathrooms/loos.

I think it looks fantastic in bedrooms.

rubles Sat 30-Aug-08 21:15:40

Lala and Anna8888, do you have it going up the stairs too?
Don't get me wrong, I love love love it, but we think we'll keep the stairs carpeted you see, in which case it might be a bit too stand-alone. If you say it looks fine with carpeted stairs/landing then I am sold.

RambleOn Sat 30-Aug-08 21:19:12

Is it noisy when fitted in a first floor? Heard from downstairs I mean.

bertiebear Sat 30-Aug-08 21:20:14

I'd rather have a carpet

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Sat 30-Aug-08 21:21:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rubles Sun 31-Aug-08 07:01:53

Malory, you didn't bin it did you?!? The parquet I have seen was reclaimed, and £45 per square metre.

Bertie - me too, but solid wood is one thing dp has said he absolutely must have in the new bedroom, I have a free hand with everything else.

liath Sun 31-Aug-08 07:13:13

We have parquet throughout most of the house including our bedroom, it's lovely but it does make noise travel through the house more easily that if it was all carpeted I reckon.

Anna8888 Sun 31-Aug-08 09:50:12

We don't have stairs in our apartment itself - there is a communal staircase in the block which has parquet (as do the landings) and a strip of red stair carpet on it with the parquet showing either side, and stair rods.

You can get absolutely gorgeous stair carpet these days - lovely stripey ones - which looks fantastic if you have parquet everywhere and just want carpet on the stairs.

lalalonglegs Sun 31-Aug-08 10:56:55

Yes, I do have it on the stairs and it looks great although was quite expensive to lay and I do occasionally worry about the damage it would cause if one of the children fell down them. Re: noise travelling, we put down chipboard with a sort of foam backing underneath the parquet and it has been fantastic for absorbing impact sound.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now