Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ALAS AND ALACK!!!!........... FIFERS: I need to pick your brains

(25 Posts)
MadamAnt Thu 28-Aug-08 22:29:39

We are going to be booted out of our lovely rented house in December (read my woes here) and we are probably going to move nearer DH's work in Dalgety Bay.

Can you give me the low-down on the best schools in that area? (I am sooooooo gutted that we'll have to move DD from her utterly brilliant nursery / primary school).

We will be renting again. Budget up to £800. Need a garden. At least two double bedroom.

I'm feeling very very gloomy about this, so would appreciate hearing about any silver linings to our forced relocation.

jasper Thu 28-Aug-08 23:07:30

enter Dalgety Bay to rent in rightmove.

www.rightmove.co.uk/action/publicsite.PropertySearch

there are several lovely places to rent withing your budget.

It is a fab part of the world. Do you know it?

MadamAnt Fri 29-Aug-08 08:09:26

Thanks Jasper I don't know it at all yet. Which of the towns would you say is best for nursery/pre-school information? I suppose we're looking at Dunfermline, North Queensferry, Inverkeithing, Rosyth, Dalgety Bay and Kirkaldy (have I missed any??) Are there little villages around the towns?

Gah...I guess we're going to have to spend some time driving around familiarising ourself with the area.

MadamAnt Fri 29-Aug-08 10:23:58

bump

MadamAnt Fri 29-Aug-08 12:08:44

bump

Tatties Fri 29-Aug-08 12:19:57

Oh no MadamAnt, I am sorry to hear about all this sad What a month to boot you out angry

Are you definitely decided on moving out of the area or are you keeping an eye out for somewhere else to rent nearby?

MadamAnt Fri 29-Aug-08 12:25:54

I know Tatties, it's just shit. I'd love love love to stay in central-ish Edinburgh, but I just don't think we'll be able to find a 2-3 bedroom flat/house with a garden on the 'right' side of Edinburgh (i.e. easily commutable to Dalgety Bay where DH works).

I'm wondering if around Tollcross might be a possibility?

I think the main think is that we find DD a really nice nursery/primary. I'm really feeling like we're letting her down by moving her again sad

Tatties Fri 29-Aug-08 13:28:09

Do you need furnished or unfurnished? I think it is doable with your budget. This or this for example? It might be worth calling some letting agents to see if you can find someone sympathetic who can let you know if anything suitable is coming up. I don't think I still have your email address but feel free to CAT/email me if you want to have a natter.

MadamAnt Fri 29-Aug-08 14:07:43

Tatties - Unfortuntely we have some of our furniture up ere (bed, washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, sofa). The sodding letting agents led us to believe that the LL would be unlikely to end the tenancy, so we commited to bringing quite a bit of stuff up. This will make it so hard to find a suitable home!

Your suggestions are both nice, but I really really would like a private (not shared) rear garden. Problem is we were absurdly lucky with this place (um...other than that we have a eranged arsehole landlord lol). It's a big three bedroom house (one bedroom is used for the landlord's storage) with a lovely big courtyard garden. That said, it's really shabby (e.g. only about two cupboards in the kitchen, the rest is shelves) and will be v draughty and cold in the winter.

Also, I'm vacillating over whether to make the move out of Edinburgh so that we can have 3 bedrooms, and we could then ttc DC3. Decisions decisions.

Do you know what, this will be the fourteenth fecking housemove in my life. I hate moving house so much. I just want to be settled sad.

I'm rambling.

Tatties Fri 29-Aug-08 16:14:12

Ah, the private garden could be hard to come by. It's hard isn't it, when you have so many things to consider. I think it is a case of working out what is most important to you and your family. If you are considering ttc then you would probably want/need to move soon again anyway? (I mean if you stayed in current area in a 2-bed place)

MadamAnt Fri 29-Aug-08 19:43:32

Look at this one!! Oooooh!! Problem is, I'm searching too soon. I don't think we'll be able to get out of our lease here if we find another place before Dec.

Re: ttc DC3, yes, we will have to move eventually, but hopefully it will synchronise with being able to sell our house down South (we have a fixed rate mortgage, and would have to pay a big penalty in order to buy up here.) I reckon it may take a few months to conceive, then there's 9 months of pregnancy, then we'll prob co-sleep for at least 6 months, then we'll er....cram all three of 'em into one room wink By that time we should be able to sell up.

Sorry - you prob didn't want to hear all that. grin

jojoisamum Fri 29-Aug-08 19:44:24

Hello there,

I am in Dunfermline but have property to rent in both Fife and Edinburgh. Unfortunately, only flats and 1 or 2 beds. Where are you at the moment roughly?

Dunfermline has good property available to rent. Usually only a couple of years old or may be even brand new.

A good place to start is with this firm

www.macbethcurrie.co.uk

A local firm with some great property to rent within your budget. They also do Dalgety Bay and surrounding areas.

As for schools I can help once you have an idea of area as I know Edionburgh, Dunfermline and have friends in Dalgety Bay.

Rosyth I am not keen on and I am sure there are nice areas of Kirkcaldy but I don't know it well enough. Dalgety Bay is a nice place to live. Will have a look at a few agents and see if I can link anything for you.

ANy questions just ask. It's what I do for a living so happy to help!

jojoisamum Fri 29-Aug-08 19:46:18

On that website I gave you if you look at the second house (St Margarets Well) you'd have a brand new house and would be a short distance to a good primary school (Townhill Primary) which is also where my DS will go in a few years time!

jojoisamum Fri 29-Aug-08 19:51:37

http://www.lettingweb.com/properties/view/frankfield-place-ky11-275640/

jojoisamum Fri 29-Aug-08 19:53:43

Bugger, sorry I am terrible with links!

MadamAnt Fri 29-Aug-08 19:56:02

Oh you lovely person! Will go and have a peek. It's great to hear about the primary school, and very promising to hear that there are nice properties available. I can't deny that it's going to be a huge wrench to move away from what I'm used to, though (I have a hankering for draughty shabby period townhouses and tenement flats).

BTW I'm in Stockbridge at the moment.

MadamAnt Fri 29-Aug-08 19:57:29

OMG three dbl bedrooms! The luxury! The TTC potential! wink

jojoisamum Fri 29-Aug-08 19:57:45

I love Stockbridge so I can see why it would be hard to move! I like the chinese just over the Bridge. Never remember what it is called - up the steps!

MadamAnt Fri 29-Aug-08 19:58:26

Is Townhill Primary big or small? Does it have a nursery class?

MadamAnt Fri 29-Aug-08 19:59:08

Ping On? grin

MadamAnt Fri 29-Aug-08 20:00:52

Townhill looks gorgeous btw...

Argh!!!

I'm never going to be able to make a decision.

Tatties Fri 29-Aug-08 21:24:04

I would like to think that they would release you from the tenancy early if you found a new place, given how you have been messed about
Good luck with your decision smile

jojoisamum Sat 30-Aug-08 10:33:26

Townhill is a small village just outside Dunfermline. The kids from there go to that school as well as kids from the villages outside. We're in a village about 3 miles away. It is quite a small school I believe.

Yes there is a nursery attached to the school as well.

As a landlord, I always allow tenants to leave early as long as I am not out of pocket and new tennants are found. Ask your landlord to see what he/she says.

SLC1972 Tue 07-Oct-08 23:18:33

Hello to those of you chatting on this thread - and apologies for jumping in! I've just found this thread on mumsnet after searching for links to Dunfermline as we are moving there in a few months. If any of you have any further info to share on what there is to do with young children (under 2), good childcare (preferably childminder for the more personal relationship) or recommendations for areas to live and find local primary schools it would be very much appreciated. My partner, my son (aged 9 months) and I will be moving to the area next spring and dont know the area at all...so not sure where to start our search, north, south, east or west of the city? WE will be working in the city centre but happy to live outside for better schools etc. We have lived happily in Glasgow for the past 13 years thorouhgly spoilt with all there is to do here...and I'm a little nervous of moving away from all our friends etc...please tell me the Dunfermline area is a lovely place to live. Many thanks :-)

SLC1972 Tue 07-Oct-08 23:24:42

Sorry...I'm only just getting the hang of mumsnet...realising it's probably not the done thing to jump in to someone elses thread...apologies for that...just worked out how to post own thread so will do that...good luck to you with your own house move and relocation...I can sympathise with your feelings..I dont want to move either...baby and I very happy where we are but finances, house, partners work forces move...best of luck to you Madamant. Hopefully in a year we'll all be looking back and seeing that it all worked out for the best in the end. S x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now