Talk

Advanced search

Advice on selling..

(18 Posts)
slavemum Wed 27-Aug-08 10:28:46

About to put our house up for sale. Have never sold a property before, and as dh bought this house before we met, I've never been involved in the buying part either.
Have estate agent coming on tues to do survey so looking for your advice/ stories on selling so I don't have to bombard him with questions.

Have recently redecorated kitchen & dss bedroom, and plan to get main living area and our bedroom done over next month, but what other things help a house sell, or what will potential buyers be looking at?
Would it be worth hiring a storage unit to declutter while its on the market?

Know it's a really bad time to sell, but we've seen a house we love, so need to get things moving.

TIA

Pawslikepaddington Wed 27-Aug-08 10:32:10

.....Lurking........

slavemum Wed 27-Aug-08 10:48:51

and also, should we take down family pictures?
Sure I saw a property programme once that advised to remove pictures/ ornaments etc so it was easier for buyers to imagine their own belongings in. Does this really matter tho?

PerkinWarbeck Wed 27-Aug-08 13:15:26

ask the agents when they are coming round to value.

We de-cluttered a bit before putting the house on, to disguise the fact that we have clearly outgrown what is a fairly pokey flat. The agents advised that there was no need to redecorate though - apparently as long as your taste isn't particularly unusual it doesn't make much difference.

noddyholder Wed 27-Aug-08 13:25:04

at the moment all that matters is the price tbh The do it up to sell time is over.Everyone will offer low regardless of condition.Location and price are everything

ihatebikerides Wed 27-Aug-08 16:58:02

It wouldn't hurt to de-clutter a bit anyway. If you're going to move out, then it'll need to be done sooner or later. But re: photos, I've never 'got' that bit about removing them. Anything around the house that there's too much of, should be culled, but a few here and there can't hurt, surely.

slavemum Wed 27-Aug-08 17:07:26

thanks all.

gardeninggirl Wed 27-Aug-08 18:47:44

Good luck!
There are buyers out there - we are just buying somewhere too.
Hope you get your dream homesmile

fiodyl Wed 27-Aug-08 22:33:13

I'd second the price being the most important factor in selling a house at the moment.
It's got to be less than other similar properties in the area to even get viewings.

1dilemma Thu 28-Aug-08 00:30:53

Drop the price by 30% below the lowest guess you get from EA

Don't use an agent with yellow and green as its colours.

Do these and providing your house is in a desirable area which is in the catchment for good schools, needs no serious work and has no 'deal breaking' faults; flood plain, subsidence etc with a bit of luck I'm sure you'll sell!!

LynetteScavo Thu 28-Aug-08 00:58:57

1dilema......I'm sure you are right about yellow and green. grin

Have you reasearched the yellow and green thing?

1dilemma Thu 28-Aug-08 01:12:27

A wee bit
we actually have 2 yellow and green EA here both are worth avoiding IMHO

There was a thread on housepricecrash inviting bets on which yellow and green office will shut first but I can't find it now!

1dilemma Thu 28-Aug-08 01:14:24

Have also registered with them a long time ago.
Complete waste of time, dragged round loads of really inappropriate buy-to-let properties, kept talking like he was selling latest toy
(properties are really flying off the shelf etc etc)

other one with them did a midnight flit to play football in the States grin

LynetteScavo Thu 28-Aug-08 01:17:16

So what colours do you recommend looking out for?

IME, red and blue are good. smile

1dilemma Thu 28-Aug-08 01:22:16

Am desperately wondering which one is red and blue do they begin with an S? (blue and yellow maybe?) or a C

NL3 Thu 28-Aug-08 10:56:46

I'd love to know who red and blue are....any hints?

Fimbo Thu 28-Aug-08 10:59:34

Declutter (keep stuff in the car if need be) and clean like a demon.

LynetteScavo Thu 28-Aug-08 20:42:38

oh, the red and blue were (are) a small independant.

People make a decition within the first 11 sceonds so viewing a property, so they say ,hmm so make sure the front of the house looks good. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now