Talk

Advanced search

does anyone know about drawing up an inventory when letting a property?

(7 Posts)
totalmisfit Wed 27-Aug-08 08:29:22

i was thinking about just going through each room and making a note of everything which is in there (door handles included???) and any damage,

just wondering if there's a more scientific way of doing it that i'm not aware of.

I've done a couple of google searches but it just seems to churn up results for things you have to sign up to/ pay for.

Our tenants are moving in soon and we're so disorganised it's not funny!

TillyScoutsmum Wed 27-Aug-08 08:31:00

That sounds about right.... Start from the ceiling and work down in each room and take photos of any damage or anything else relevant.

mckenzie Wed 27-Aug-08 08:40:37

my friend had to pay a company to do this when she let her house through an agent (condition of contract).
Can you afford to pay to get it done? I think it was approx £200.

TillyScoutsmum Wed 27-Aug-08 08:49:41

Seriously, I'm a surveyor who gets paid to do these things and they really are very straightforward (I wing it most of the time wink).... Don't waste your money. Say what you see and take stacks of photos and get your tenants to sign copies to verify they agree with it all....

totalmisfit Wed 27-Aug-08 19:52:42

thanks Tilly and mckenzie - don't really like the idea of paying someone to do it either as moving has already been so ££££££££££££££

will do as you say and take loads of photos and do my best to get all the wear and tear logged before we go. thanks smile

Earlybird Wed 27-Aug-08 20:04:57

I bought one of those generic legal lease packages from WH Smith when I let my flat. It has a room by room inventory list, and I simply added/elaborated and had the tenant initial each page.

wombleprincess Thu 28-Aug-08 11:34:04

put everything down, including light switches etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now