Talk

Advanced search

URGENT incompetent estate agent, what should I do?

(28 Posts)
MamaChris Tue 26-Aug-08 17:32:09

have offered on a property. vendor is on holiday in spain but said he'd be contactable. estate agent says she can't get hold of him, but she's not struck me so far as particularly competent. So I called the vendor's mobile number that's given on the HIP (using 141 to block ID), and someone answered. Do I:
a. do nothing - she might work out how to use a phone by tomorrow
b. call vendor back, and ask him to call the agents
c. call agent and ask her how she's trying to call him
?

Thanks!

CSLG Tue 26-Aug-08 18:01:05

Given the market at the moment the estate agent should be acting quickly on any offers.

Phone the estate agent back and say you need to know by the end of the week as you have an offer on another property and want to know if you should withdraw this offer? They might be making you sweat - trying to see if they can get you to up your offer...

CarGirl Tue 26-Aug-08 18:05:20

The estate agent may be lying as the vendor wants time to think about the offer?

MamaChris Tue 26-Aug-08 19:11:42

well I did b. vendor hadn't heard from agents at all, said he would call them tomorrow. so we have to sweat overnight! grrr.

ihatebikerides Tue 26-Aug-08 19:40:38

If this all goes through, it's going to hurt paying this agent his fee!

MamaChris Tue 26-Aug-08 21:09:25

doesn't it always hurt? grin

lalalonglegs Wed 27-Aug-08 10:06:52

I just don't get this. Why are agents behaving like this - they should be flying out to Spain to track down vendor and beg acceptance of offer. There's another thread where agents are not bothering to return calls of cash buyer. Are they congenitally incapable of a decent day's work?

troubledfriend Wed 27-Aug-08 11:02:29

some are certainly incompetent.

I recently eamiled an estate agent on Rightmove as I was interested in buying a flat.

They have never contacted me

fridayschild Wed 27-Aug-08 13:09:18

MamaChris, how about texting the vendor to get him or her to call the agents?

Fimbo Wed 27-Aug-08 13:14:09

Have you heard anything MamaChris.

I doubt that email facility works on Rightmove. I requested a schedule of particulars for a property using that method and never received anything.

LynetteScavo Wed 27-Aug-08 13:19:52

Just out of interest, MamaChris, have you offered the asking price? It could be that the estate agents knows the vendor is highly unlikely to accept your offer. Just a thought.

MamaChris Wed 27-Aug-08 16:12:33

I phoned the vendor and asked him to contact the agents. They phoned this morning and the agents got back to me. Haven't offered asking price, and are now negotiating (although it sounds like the vendors want something very close to asking price, so not sure if we can agree

I think the agent wasn't being obstructive, just genuinely incompetent and not sure how to phone spain! If we do buy this house, we certainly have made a note not to sell in the future through these agents.

re rightmove, sometimes agents have phoned me after I used the facility, mostly not. I think it depends on the individual agent's set up.

claricebeansmum Wed 27-Aug-08 16:17:59

We had this trouble too to a certain extent.

We began speaking to the vendor directly - but softly, softly.

Agents then got themselves in gear.

I wondered whether agents were being rubbish at the moment because they are all out looking for new jobs? wink

MamaChris Wed 27-Aug-08 16:30:00

I think they've had it easy the last few years. the internet does most of the work for them and an overkeen market has meant anything will sell. now things are a bit tougher, I think vendors will be changing agents more readily, and only the better ones will survive. here's hoping, at least.

LynetteScavo Wed 27-Aug-08 23:05:47

MamaChris, I reckon the vedors won't sell for what you want to pay for the property, and the agent knows this.If the agent manages to pursuade the vendors to sell to you, then they are doing a decent job,all round, IMO.
Whether or not this house is still on the market this time next year remains to be seen hmm, but if you can figure out how to contact the seller, them I just can't believe the agent is unable to.

CSLG Thu 28-Aug-08 11:28:37

How long has the property been on the market?

If its been on for a any length of time then the vendors should be keen to complete - especially since the news each day has more news of price falls.

If you look on www.primelocation.com you can find out what other houses have sold for in the same street to make sure you are in line with what people have paid and not what people are asking for

CSLG Thu 28-Aug-08 11:28:39

How long has the property been on the market?

If its been on for a any length of time then the vendors should be keen to complete - especially since the news each day has more news of price falls.

If you look on www.primelocation.com you can find out what other houses have sold for in the same street to make sure you are in line with what people have paid and not what people are asking for

MamaChris Thu 28-Aug-08 14:11:34

It's been on for about 5 weeks. Only 1 property on that road has sold in last 3 years, for a little more than the vendors are asking. There is also another house on that road just come on the market, at 30k more. It is detached (rather than semi), but the house we're looking at has had a garage conversion and kitchen extension so is actually larger. Think perhaps they've picked a fairer price than others on the market which is why they are hoping to get very close to it.

Thing is, they are not desperate to sell. They're getting divorced, both moving out to rent, and happy to rent this house till they get a good price for it. The agent is also saying that the market may pick up in September, so they're not being encouraged to accept from that angle either.

Think we're going to up our bid to just 7.5k below asking price. gulp.

intolerant Thu 28-Aug-08 15:54:49

And what planet is that agent on? Pick up in September? ROFL

WideWebWitch Thu 28-Aug-08 16:03:13

Look at headlines in The Times today, offer LESS! Savills are saying 30% drops by next year. I agree.

I am the one on other thread, agents have been asked to send FIL details of anything suitable, he has CASH and they haven't BOTHERED! I had to go in and get details and send them to him and if he buys, they'll get 2%, it's outrageous.

lalalonglegs Thu 28-Aug-08 18:05:19

I think the agent has suddenly woken up and is working hard for his clients. There is no way the market will pick up in September, there is no way that a divorcing couple will be happy to move out to rented and let the old marital home out indefinitely. It's cobblers - do not put in a high offer.

WWW: I was a bit sceptical when a few months ago you started floating the idea of 30% drops or more but I think you were bang on the money. I bow to you and your crystal ball.

WideWebWitch Thu 28-Aug-08 19:27:17

Thank you lala, there are a few of us here who have been banging on aboug this!

CSLG Thu 28-Aug-08 20:29:17

I wouldn't put a higher offer in either

They don't have anyother offers do they?

intolerant Thu 28-Aug-08 20:35:22

" sounds like the vendors want something very close to asking price"
I bet they do. But what they want and what they're likely to get in this market are two very different things. You have all the cards in your hand. Do not put in another offer at this stage.

MamaChris Thu 28-Aug-08 21:38:15

well, we did put in a higher offer. we're in a position where my new job starts in a new town at the end of this year (currently on maternity leave and I can't face commuting and not seeing ds awake from Mon-Fri). Our hard to sell London flat is finally under offer from buyers who played hard ball with the price, and put a deadline on us to move, so we'd be homeless in 8 weeks if we didn't find anywhere.

we may have paid over the odds (I think we have), but the offer was accepted and whilst I'm a bit gutted about the price, we can afford it (just), it'll be a home for us for a few years, it's in a great location to raise ds (near park and good schools). Dunno. not a sensible finacial decision, but sensible emotionally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now