Talk

Advanced search

Renting out property - would you use an agency or advertise on gumtree?

(4 Posts)
2point4kids Tue 26-Aug-08 16:28:29

We have a property that we have been renting out for a year now. Our tenants are leaving next month and we need to find new ones.
We have previously used an agency and paid them 8% to find tenants and do all the checks etc for us.
Someone has recommended Gumtree and told us that its much better to go that way and advertise ourselves.

Is it very risky? Is it worth saving the agency fees to not have the police and bank account checks of potential tenants?
Can you ask tenants to provide references if you find them yourselves or is only agencies that can ask and follow up on references?

I'd be grateful if there is anyone in the know who can offer advice!
Thanks!

hanaflower Tue 26-Aug-08 16:30:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rubles Sat 30-Aug-08 15:03:03

We went through an agency last year and they just advertised on gumtree for their marketing. They really messed us about, giving the keys to different tenants from the ones we had seen the references for, and it was only because the tenants luckily turned out to be good that we didn't come a cropper. we still don't have any of their references..but that is an aside.

This time we advertised on gumtree and let it pretty much immediately. We got references from employers, bank statements and previous landlords, it was so straight forward and saved us loads. The agencies get money for nothing imo.

wombleprincess Mon 01-Sep-08 15:38:29

i do it myself via gumtree and other places, cant bear to give estate agents any more money than absolutely necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now