Talk

Advanced search

What colour(s) for a hallway, stairs and landing with virtually no natural light

(13 Posts)
misdee Mon 25-Aug-08 20:46:04

main source of light will be the back door, and then off other rooms when doors open.

am trying to decide colours.

am not getting anywhere fast lol.

cocoeelpew Mon 25-Aug-08 20:47:08

Dulux (?) do a paint that is supossed to reflect light. Hold on...

cocoeelpew Mon 25-Aug-08 20:48:29

here

Pannacotta Mon 25-Aug-08 20:48:29

Creamy yellow is good.
Can you add glass panels to any of the doors to steal light from other rooms?
And what colour is the flooring?

DragonsEye Mon 25-Aug-08 20:50:04

think i would just stick with white / off white tbh.

Dulux do a 'light and space' range which is meant to reflect light around the room, but tis quite expensive.

DragonsEye Mon 25-Aug-08 20:50:32

lol - im too slow...

QueenyEisGotTheBall Mon 25-Aug-08 20:52:21

i would go with a very light colour like cream or light yellow, pale green like a sage it all depends on what colour your flooring is, whether there is any dark wood banisters/door frames etc definitely use light reflecting paint and no dark light/lamp shades etc.
xx ei xx

Heated Mon 25-Aug-08 20:52:24

Would it be possible to use a mirror to reflect the light the hall does get?

misdee Mon 25-Aug-08 20:57:55

wooden bannisters are all white, stairs are currently painted a muddy brown but will be putting a light (not cream, more bisuit) carpet up the stairs and the top landing, bottom hall will be beech or oak laminate ( would love real wood floor but cant stretch that far). have some wiggly mirrors i will be taking with me, will use those and get soem more as well.

do you think keeping it simple and plain will work better?

QueenyEisGotTheBall Mon 25-Aug-08 21:17:29

yeah no wild patterns or dark coloured wall paper, light and airy always goes best in hallways especially if they have no windows or natural light. our stairs are so dark but we have used a pale peachy cream and cream carpets so it looks brighter than it would do otherwisesmile
xx ei xx

nooka Mon 25-Aug-08 21:29:04

We went for a very pale yellow in the Light and Space range. I am happy with it, but it does mark easily, which is not ideal on stairs! Could you add some spots to the lighting?

misdee Mon 25-Aug-08 21:35:56

am not keen on spot lighting.

the alcove under the stairs will be my computer area, so will need to sort out some lughting under there at ome point.

am mentally planning and juggling sums. it will be the last palce to be done, but am not i na major rush as its liveable.

noddyholder Tue 26-Aug-08 11:04:27

That dulux paint is fab.Get a huge one piece mirror as that will reflect and bouce a lot more light than several small ones.If the other doors off the hall are panelled you can remove the top panels and get them glazed which makes a huge difference and looks fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now